Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going through the new Big game proc when I came across something that surprised me.

Drawing process
Utah Admin. Code R657-5-27
This is the order in which big game permits are drawn:
First—buck deer (premium limited entry, limited entry and CWMU)
Second—bull elk (premium limited entry, limited entry, management bull elk and CWMU)
Third—buck pronghorn (limited entry and CWMU)
Fourth—once-in-a-lifetime
Fifth—youth general buck deer
Sixth—general buck deer and general buck/bull combination
Last—youth any bull elk
Because of the order in which permits are drawn, you won’t be included in the drawing for a once-in-a-lifetime permit if you draw any of the following permits:
buck deer (limited entry, premium • limited entry or CWMU)
bull elk (limited entry, premium • limited entry, management bull elk or CWMU)
buck pronghorn (limited entry or • CWMU)

Is this a new thing? I had no Idea that if you draw a limited entry that you would not be entered in the once-in-a-lifetime drawing. Am I the only one left in the dark on this one?

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
It has been that way ever since I have been in the draw game. 8)

·
Registered
32 Posts
It has always been that way at least for years. You can't draw an LE tag and a once in a lifetime tag. You can however purchase a O.I.A.L. point only and still apply for a LE tag. Which doesn't really make much difference to me since I can't seem to draw anything anyway Maybe this year will be my year.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Just to clarify, you CAN apply for both, but the LE are drawn first and if you draw a LE tag you will get a point for your OIL species. The advantage to applying for both is you may be unlucky in the LE draw but hit the jackpot on OIL. 8)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't believe that I didn't know that. It doesn't change anything on how I put in. Like PRO said The advantage to applying for both is you may be unlucky in the LE draw but hit the jackpot on OIL.. That just surprised me. Too bad, it would be awesome to draw both in one year :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
On another part of this years applications i wonder if the added cost for a hunting permit are in our case a combination liscense is going to deter some of the point banking going on at first i didnt think it would but after hearing all the cring going on at work i am beginning to think diffrently a little. it will be interesting to find out :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts