Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all of you know friends or acquaintances that dream big about getting some sweet hook ups to hunt some private property or some exotic hunt. My buddy whom I hunt with every year comes to me every year about some hook up he has to hunt an Indian Reservation for Elk because he works with an Indian lady and she said hunting is good there, or now his friend from work has property up by Heber that is jointly owned amongst many people that they bow hunt on. His friend invited him up once to call in elk and now he thinks the kid is going to invite him hunting. So at first I was thinking that maybe the kid WOULD extend the invite but after hearing about twelve different excuses of why he couldn't go hunt because 1. the kid and his wife had a baby in early August. 2. The snow was too deep in October and all the deer had left 3. His dad put him in for a rifle tag, then the story switched to an archery tag, then it went back to a rifle tag, and last I heard it was all a big misunderstanding because he did end up with an archery tag. I hear the same stories every year and bite my tongue but it gets old since he wants me to switch my region in case I can get the invite as well. Does anyone else hear the same type of crap year after year or is it just that I associate with naive dreamers?? By the way he switched his region last year to be able to hunt with the kid but ended up not even getting out on the Muzzleloader or rifle not to mention even come close to hunting the property or with the "freind". Sorry just had to vent..... :roll:

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I use to have a friend that supposedly personally knew the owner of Cabelas and Sportsman's and that he said he got to hunt places with these guys, but he could never come up with proof. Imagine that! He also supposedly had all kinds of connections to people who owned awesome private property, but it always fell through. :roll: I only knew him for a little over a year, but man there was enough BS for a lifetime. I did get my hopes up once on a fishing trip to California deep sea fishing that fell through also, but I quickly learned not to believe a word he said.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I know someone just like this except the follow through. I always doubt what he saids and then suddenly he has a key to a gate and permission. He hasn't done it for a couple years. If you ask him how he gets permission he will tell you he "just asks". It has payed off in that I have hunted property that I would likely never have seen without him.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I am one of those dreamer who hopes to get in on some good land and I get reeled in. This past deer hunt were where calling a guy about 1:00pm the second Saturday of the hunt, in which there was about less that 1% chance we would get to talk to him let alone him let us on his property (he probably puts his phone of the hook the week of the deer hunt :x . I always like to dream big anyway.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Here is a dream... We just got more property purchased within the family but now I am starting a family of my own and I am stuck paying a mortgage and going to college at the sametime so I can only dream about hunting the property that the family has just recently purchased. If somehow I didn't have to work I am for certain that I could spend entire months camped out. Watching deer, elk, and moose, fishing the creek, killing forest grouse, collecting shed antlers from all three species, chasing coyotes, setting up snares in badger holes, improving the much needed to improve cabin, brain tanning deer that I have harvested in past years sitting in the freezer, sitting around a campfire, panning for gold, and sitting in a hammock between aspens and quakies are all things just waiting to be done. Unfortunately I work 12 hr nights and go to school in the mornings allowing me less than 5hrs of sleep.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts