Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aluminum boat with motor that i am going to turn into a duck boat. how much is the grassy reed stuff you guys put on your boats? can i just paint it? I'm just planning on using it to get to some spots and then hiding it. Do i really need to put much camo on it or can i just hide it in the reeds? thanks. i wont be hunting with it a lot just a couple times a year

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
if your just going to hid it an dnot hunt out of it. I would not spend the money for the grass.Then if you do dicided to hunt out of it just fine tall enought grass out there put the boat in deep enought and you will be just fine.but if you want to put the grass on for four sheet it around 70 bucks if i rember from sportsman warehouse.Yea pait that boat. start this summer when it realy worm and you can take your time on it.have fun.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I agree on the self etching primer.... don't know anything about the vinegar. Spray paint for the boat, cheap, easy and not super prone to sags and runs if you know what you're doing..... grab some phrag and then you can get readymade grass stencils to put on your boat. You can also just get camo netting to make your blind and then stick phrag in that.... that way you don't have to pay fot the expensive grass. That stuff will shine for a little while anyway because its new so you might be better off (since this is an occasional use thing) to just use whats available in your hunting spots. 8)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the help guys. How do you hunt out of a boat anyways? i have never done it. do you set up like just in the middle and look like just a patch of reeds or what? if so how do your dogs get back in? do you just lift em in? Ive only hunted farmington 3 times. i always hunt a secret spot of mine that is a walk to get out there and when i am out there im in knee deep water the whole time

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
you just stand up when you go to shoot. put your boat on the on the point or the side. depending what way you want to face and shoot.some place i have to pick up my dog and other place she jumps right up in.You pretty much just hunt out of teh boat liek you would when you walk out. set up the same and so on.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Most folks pick a shore of the pond and go run their boat up into the weeds so there is a layer of reeds in front of you and the rest behind. Then you put up your blind so your boat blends with the surrounding cover. I wouldn't just park out in the middle of the pond unless there are other similar clumps of vegetation there.... Depends on the water whether or not you have to drag your dog in. If its deep and you don't have a boarding ladder, they'll probably need some help. Otherwise, they should be able to scramble back into the boat. Keep your head down, but eyes up and then pop up when the birds are close enough and enjoy the heck out of the "Oh SHIZ" posture they take when they try to leave in a hurry. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts