Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have calls from over 50 years of hunting and love them all. However, these new calls are really great and I got some from somewhere a few years back I really like. One is a squeeler call that's supposed to imitate a duck with too much feed in its craw. I don't know about that, but it gets raspy with a soft blow. My old single reed brass monster is for long range turning, but it is hell to blow more than a few hours. I'd stick with the newer double reed like the others have suggested.

·
Administrator
21,517 Posts
I think the Olt D-2 is the #1 selling duck call of all time.

I haven't been to Pekin for over 5 years. As far as I know they are still making the D-2 there. Olt's business address on their packaging, on some calls and on their website says Lyndon. I was in Lyndon a week ago today....a funeral. P. S. Olt has been around for almost 100 years and there calls are very popular.

DJ Illinois River Valley Calls is also in Pekin. They make a great Canadian Goose call. I just bought a swan call from DJ. It sounds great but I haven't used it on a swan hunt yet.
I lost my 50-year-old Olt duck call this year. Left it on the bank of the river. sad

·
Administrator
21,517 Posts

DJ Illinois River Valley Calls is also in Pekin Illinois. They make a great Canadian Goose call. I just bought a swan call from DJ. It sounds great but I haven't used it on a swan hunt yet.

I put DJ Illinois River swan call to the test yesterday. It sounds great in the basement but out in the marsh it sounds like a distressed jack rabbit. Think I'll try it on coyotes this weekend. :smile:

I'm the world's worst caller.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I put DJ Illinois River swan call to the test yesterday. It sounds great in the basement but out in the marsh it sounds like a distressed jack rabbit. Think I'll try it on coyotes this weekend. :smile:

I'm the world's worst caller.

Hey....I was afraid we were gonna get run over by coyotes!! :shock::mrgreen:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I still use the 1st call I got. A Haydel's DR 85. I've bought a few other calls, but I like this call and a whistle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife was asking what I would like for CHRISTmas this year, and since I dont want to break the bank for her, I would like to ask for a mid-range call ($50-$75) but dont know much about calls honestly.

Any suggestions?
I have always been more drawn towards a wood call.

Faulks and the Duck Commander classic are within your price range. Both sound good!

Field Proven and Zink have some good poly packaged calls that sound good. They usually come with some sort of instruction aid.

If by chance the wife wins the Lotto: Have her get you Zink, Field Proven, R-n-T, or Tim Grounds.

Material plays a small role with a call, the majority depends on your skillset.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
So BAX - what did your bride get you for Christmas 8 years ago? :LOL:

Reactions: Bax*

·
Administrator
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So BAX - what did your bride get you for Christmas 8 years ago? :LOL:
Bob, I dont even know what I did yesterday let alone 8 years ago ha ha ha

I always crack up when some of these posts pop up. Maybe I will revive a classic thread about farts and spooking game just for laughs.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts