Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, if anyone hears of any memberships or leases that become available in any of the duck clubs Clearfield down to the airport, I'd greatly appreciate it. Bayview, Lake Front, Burnham, Ambassador, Rudy, North Point, New State, Harrison and any smallers one that I may not even know about. Time is going to be very tight for me the next few years so I need to make the plunge into something close & convenient.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi Zpat,
Finding one of these shares to purchase will be very difficult, probably the most difficult time in the history of Utah duck clubs.
Usually if one becomes available, it is immediately snatched up by a buddy, Dad, son, etc.
I have a chunk of money set aside to buy a second share at my place and can’t get one.
Currently, as with the housing market, the share will have a very high premium. Especially since they are not making more duck clubs unlike new houses that are springing up daily and are still over-priced.
And I’m sure you know how crazy real estate is right now.
If I am telling you something you already know then I apologize, I can tell you have already done some homework just by the clubs you named off in your original post.
My share is not for sale but I will help answer any questions you might have?
I am a member in one of the South Shore Association clubs if that helps at all?
Sincerely,
Shane

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ray,
An equity share cost at a club around the GSL is extremely wide ranging, with many different factors.
Plus, please remember this is just my guess, I do not have any factual documentation but I would say $50k on up to $400k for one with a ‘cabin’ on it and a boathouse.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much are shares?
Not worth it. Not even close. For the money they are asking on some of these, you could go hunt around the country or world. You could buy several duck boats and have an arsenal of gear any duck addict would be jealous of. And you could hunt anywhere in the state you wanted. Doing it your way, yourself. Any day of the season you want. There’s no rest days. Or days you can’t hunt certain blinds. Or a number restrictions on how many of your friends and family you can have with you hunting every day.

it’s not worth it IMO

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Definitely your IMO.
My IMO is exactly 180 degrees opposite of yours.
I guess if you enjoy shooting 4 teal, a pin and 2 spoons every other day, while being told where you can and can’t hunt and not being able to take as many friends and family as you want to share a blind with, is worth the money, go for it.

Plenty of ways to shoot ducks in this state. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Its all about convenience & limited people. And a guy will always make money on his share or shares. Its a great place to park your money for investment purposes.

But with every club there is a certain amount of politics.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Spoons?
Every other day?
I bet you get most of your information from an aunt’s brother-in-law’s half sister who just got out of jail.

Jerry, I still owe you some skeet targets.
I promise I have not forgot, crappy excuse but I got busy and time just got away from me.
I actually feel pretty crappy I let you down.
How do you feel about shooting in this heat?
I don’t mind it, some hate it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Spoons?
Every other day?
I bet you get most of your information from an aunt’s brother-in-law’s half sister who just got out of jail.

I promise I have not forgot, crappy excuse but I got busy and time just got away from me.
South shores club? Yeah I’m pretty familiar with the bird species that hang in that area and somewhat familiar with the rules clubs have. But keep living your dream.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Spoons?
Every other day?

No problem Shane
I bought a thrower & have been shooting.

Maybe Moose can post up a pic or two of some of his shoots?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey MM,
You forgot to add geese, pheasants, doves, swans, antelope,deer, occasionally turkeys, eagles, snakes, who knows what else, and the occasional Buffalo or two to the list.
The solitude and almost perfectly clean marsh is invaluable.
To be lucky enough to help hatch, preserve, and then hunt a beloved bird on my own property along with seeing these other animals is more of a fantasy come true than a dream.
I couldn’t have done it other than pure dumb luck....
But, thank you and maybe we will cross paths one of these days.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Awesome, especially the one with waterfowl and elk. Love to hear about that day
kind of an interesting day.

the night before we had gone hunting cow elk for my wife PLO cow tag on a piece of property we had permission for. When we got there that evening, we noticed a single cow elk, just feet on to public land, across from the property we could hunt. After watching her for several hours, she hadn’t moved a step. Which is odd of cow elk in January. Upon further inspection, we could see that her hind leg was broken just up from the ankle and she wasn’t putting any weight on her front leg. We watched her until dark and she still didn’t move. We went home and contacted a fish and game officer and explained the situation. He granted us permission to shoot that cow on public land given her situation and with her being literally within spitting distance of the private land we had permission. The catch was, the next day was the last day of duck season and had already loaded the truck to go the next morning. We decided to go take care of the elk instead, since that was the right thing to do. So at first light we were in permission and she was still standing right where we had left her. 1 quick shot and she was down. When we got to her, she not only had a broken leg and bad road rash (Highway right next to the property, she had been hit by a car) her front shoulder was completely infected from an older bullet wound. She was skin and bones and had been in rough shape for awhile. A variety of colors of oozing infection that I couldn’t begin to describe was pouring out of her. We loaded her whole into the truck, Incase the officer wanted to inspect her since there was no way we were going to attempt to pull meat off of her. On our way back to home and the shotguns in the truck, we hit a few farm ponds on the way that we can hunt and ended up having a pretty productive jump shoot.

the officer agreed on not salvaging any meat off her, and offered us another tag for the remainder of the hunt, but declined since we were happy to help with a bad situation and end what was sure to be a prolonged miserable death.

·
Registered
284 Posts
kind of an interesting day.

the night before we had gone hunting cow elk for my wife PLO cow tag on a piece of property we had permission for. When we got there that evening, we noticed a single cow elk, just feet on to public land, across from the property we could hunt. After watching her for several hours, she hadn’t moved a step. Which is odd of cow elk in January. Upon further inspection, we could see that her hind leg was broken just up from the ankle and she wasn’t putting any weight on her front leg. We watched her until dark and she still didn’t move. We went home and contacted a fish and game officer and explained the situation. He granted us permission to shoot that cow on public land given her situation and with her being literally within spitting distance of the private land we had permission. The catch was, the next day was the last day of duck season and had already loaded the truck to go the next morning. We decided to go take care of the elk instead, since that was the right thing to do. So at first light we were in permission and she was still standing right where we had left her. 1 quick shot and she was down. When we got to her, she not only had a broken leg and bad road rash (Highway right next to the property, she had been hit by a car) her front shoulder was completely infected from an older bullet wound. She was skin and bones and had been in rough shape for awhile. A variety of colors of oozing infection that I couldn’t begin to describe was pouring out of her. We loaded her whole into the truck, Incase the officer wanted to inspect her since there was no way we were going to attempt to pull meat off of her. On our way back to home and the shotguns in the truck, we hit a few farm ponds on the way that we can hunt and ended up having a pretty productive jump shoot.

the officer agreed on not salvaging any meat off her, and offered us another tag for the remainder of the hunt, but declined since we were happy to help with a bad situation and end what was sure to be a prolonged miserable death.

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts