Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry All,
I only meant to help Zpat get some questions answered, and I guess I let it get away from me.
He and I have had a great conversation and I believe answered his concerns.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Moose...too many spoons and hens in those pics. Real hunters only shoot drake ruddies and common mergansers. Wait, maybe it’s real hunters EAT their ruddies and CMs...😉

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Moose...too many spoons and hens in those pics. Real hunters only shoot drake ruddies and common mergansers. Wait, maybe it’s real hunters EAT their ruddies and CMs...😉
I can whip up some ruddy/CM treats that will have you begging for more. I had 3 wives ask me for the recipe at my first, last day of the season BBQ at the Harrison. They all said they normally won't eat duck but mine was excellent. Also had some non-believers in Kalifornia begging for more merg after I made a batch of merg nuggets for them. This is NOT a snipe hunt story.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I’m an opportunist. If the right situation presents itself, I’ll pick out drakes. Most of the time we just shoot whatever we can when it comes in… not afraid of a good hen merganser shoot here and there either! Don’t mind the goose that’s ruining an awesome pile photo. He desperately wanted to be included in that days line up. He did have a band, so it was worth the shell spent on him.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Touché! That is actually hilarious. I have NEVER seen a merg pile like that! So, gotta know how you fixed those up. Did you just switch a real fish dinner for a fishduck supper? 🤔

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Touché! That is actually hilarious. I have NEVER seen a merg pile like that! So, gotta know how you fixed those up. Did you just switch a real fish dinner for a fishduck supper? 🤔
It was a pretty wild couple minutes. We shot 21 hens in about 15 minutes. My buddy that was set up about a mile away said it sounded like a war had broke out.. Never saw a drake the entire time. It was insane. Wave after wave of 15+ bird flocks, bombing into the decoys. I’d never seen mergs decoy like that. Usually they’d skirt the edge of the spread just passing by. Not this time! Feet down, flipping upside down just doing it hard! Easily could have shot another 3 limits.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts