Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What duck decoys does everyone feel look the best and are the highest quality? I would really like to change my spread this year.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I personally think AvianX has the best realism look to them as far as paint scheme and body pose. I'v Always bought GHG and love them however, if I didn't have so dang many GHG duck decoys I would jump over to AvianX.

but, all my GHG ducks are surface feeders and that makes for a good looking spread. regardless of how many dozens of decoys i have, 90% of the time i only use 4-6 decoys. when I hunt over small spreads like that I try to look as most realistic as I can.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I also like to hunt small pockets so I think realism out weighs numbers.
Avian X is the way to go. I threw out 6 on a small creek last year. I heard a splash and counted 7 decoys. I sat there for a minute to figure out which was the real drake. They're expensive, but awesome! I dropped GHG because I got tired of paying $100 for decoys that had no paint by the end of the year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We ran Tangle free foam filled deeks last year "Ducks" with GREAT success!
For one thing at the end of the season they all had the paint on them and when
they get shot which they will they still float! ;-)
Just another option for you.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I'd rather buy a few nice motion dekes that put some movement in the water for the same price as an awesome new spread of ducks that don't move....

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
tangle free decoys are great on price and last a long time. im working on switching over to them.
I got 12 Buck Gardner Tanglefree mallards and 5 of them sunk into the pond the first time out so I haven't gone back. Which model are you using and how's the paint? I've been wanting to call them up to see if they could send me 6 pintail sleepers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've been using GHG for a lot of years and really like them. I have had some paint issues, but nothing major. Especially for how hard I am on them. They are pricey, but I still like them the best.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I got 12 Buck Gardner Tanglefree mallards and 5 of them sunk into the pond the first time out so I haven't gone back. Which model are you using and how's the paint? I've been wanting to call them up to see if they could send me 6 pintail sleepers.
im using there newer ones. im just got some teal right now.Give them a call and they will work with you on it.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I've slowly been switching over from GHG to G &H, I'm about 50% complete on the changeover now. G&H's are just tougher than the avery offerings now and American made to boot

Before season this year I'm gonna get me a dozen Higdon super battleship mallards to use specifically for timber/slough hunting applications. They are big and foam filled

·
Registered
344 Posts
avian x we ran the mallards and pintails last season and they worked awesome and the paint held up great. I will be buying more in the future along with their goose decoys.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Why would you use Higdon foamers over TangleFree ???
Oh ya I see your from the south!:mrgreen:
It's simple, those hidgons are very visible and most of the spots I hunt don't require more than a doz dekes to get it done, in fact large numbers of decoys do more harm than good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
G&H decoys are by far the most realistic and durable duck decoy out there. At least in my not so humble opinion. I bought three dozen of them 10 years ago and they are still going strong today. I will admit that they are tough to find compared to the other decoys - but you can find them online and at Cabelas. I really like the swivel heads on the mallards and think their pintail decoys are the best out their. Their paint isn't the high gloss crap you find on a lot of decoys.

·
Registered
101 Posts
G&H decoys are by far the most realistic and durable duck decoy out there. At least in my not so humble opinion. I bought three dozen of them 10 years ago and they are still going strong today. I will admit that they are tough to find compared to the other decoys - but you can find them online and at Cabelas. I really like the swivel heads on the mallards and think their pintail decoys are the best out their. Their paint isn't the high gloss crap you find on a lot of decoys.
I am willing to accept that they are super durable, but I wouldnt call G&H the most realistic. I think they are probubly realistic enough, but I dont think they are anywhere as realistic as the avian x or GHG (and I won't buy any more GHG).

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
All those ultra realistic decoy work far better at atracting hunters wallets than they do at outperforming most of your run of the mill decoys.

I have a doz of G&H mallards I have had for almost 30 years, I killed a lot of ducks over those blocks last season, probably won't be the last ones either.

You can also buy straight from G&H, they will ship to individuals. If your military yet offer a discount too.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts