Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst my hunting opportunities have been limited, I've been lucky and filled a couple limits (me and my boy) a couple of times.
It's been suggested that salami, summer sausage, and ground jerky might be the way to go. I enjoy duck, but some of those things sound good.
So for those of you that have tried such things, what equipment are you using. I only have a smoker. Nothing else. Also any recipes you've tried.
Later,
Kev

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think where most people mess up is over cooking waterfowl you could cut a breast in half cook one rare one med rare and you wouldn't believe the taste difference.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Kev, I've made a lot of duck and goose jerky without grinding it-just cut it into strips, marinate in your favorite jerky marinade, and smoke it for a few hours and then finish your jerky off in the dehydrator or a really low-temp oven.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Kev I tried summer sausage for the first time this year. It turned out so well I don't think I will do jerkey again. I just used the Hi-Mountain original kit. It includes the casings, seasoning & cure. 1 kit will do 30 pounds of meat. I can do 15 pounds at a time in my smoker. I have done 2 batches, the 1st I did 50/50 blend of duck to pork. The 2nd I tried 60/40 & could tell no taste diferance. I did not add any fat other than what was already on the pork roast. You will need a grinder & stuffer. I tried using the stuffing setting on my
grinder but it did not work well so I bought a cheeper stuffer & it made all the difference.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigMac, thanks for the suggestion. I think that may be the way I go. What grinder do you have?

To the rest. I've done duck just about every way imaginable, and I've enjoyed most all of (pulled duck sandwiches, not so great). I enjoy it grilled med. rare, and strip jerky too. Just looking for something different to process large amounts.
Just a heads up, I did duck burgers the other day, about 7-8 lbs. duck + 1 lb. bacon, ground both together, pattied it up, refrigerated to set things up and on the grill. Some good cheddar, onion rings, and BBQ sauce. Awesome burger.
Later,
Kev

·
Registered
300 Posts
BigMac, thanks for the suggestion. I think that may be the way I go. What grinder do you have?

To the rest. I've done duck just about every way imaginable, and I've enjoyed most all of (pulled duck sandwiches, not so great). I enjoy it grilled med. rare, and strip jerky too. Just looking for something different to process large amounts.
Just a heads up, I did duck burgers the other day, about 7-8 lbs. duck + 1 lb. bacon, ground both together, pattied it up, refrigerated to set things up and on the grill. Some good cheddar, onion rings, and BBQ sauce. Awesome burger.
Later,
Kev
I have the Cabels heavy duty #8 grinder. Got it on sale for $80 I think. Reg. $120. It is ok for small jobs. But like I said I don't like the stuffing setting so also bought a Cabelas 5lb stuffer on sale too. I think the grinder is identical to the LEM or Weston brands you see over in town at CAL or Sportsmans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts