Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm more of an upland hunter, but I really enjoy waterfowl hunting too...I'v just never been very good at it. Since beginning bird hunting about five years ago I feel like my dog and I have both learned a lot about upland game birds, the habitat and behavior throughout the season, and so we can usually find them now. However, waterfowl still remain largely a mystery to me. I have had a few good hunts here and there, but not often. I feel like it is just dumb luck when it works out.

I've tried scouting with binoculars to see where they are coming and going, and it hasn't helped much. The problem is probably that I haven't put in enough hours and days doing this because of limited time available, and how their behavior changes throughout the season.

I'm hoping that you all could offer some advice as to what habitat and behavior patterns you anticipate during this later part of the season. I've killed ducks this time of year on small creeks and on the GSL, but I've been skunked in both places as often as not. Is there a rhyme or reason to it, or is it a matter of lots of scouting throughout every season?

As an example, when I go chukar hunting, even on a new range, I can usually look at the terrain and have a pretty good idea where the birds will be at a given time of year and weather conditions. Same for huns or grouse. Do any of you find the same thing with waterfowl?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's a little too late in the season to have a ton of luck. Right now, it's hard finding open water. And a lot of the ducks are moving south. Right now, you need to find that special spot that nobody knows about.

For next year, go around the public WMA's and your scouting with binoculars will pay off a lot more around the end of October and in November.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts