Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of a game processing place in Utah that will turn X amount of ducks/geese into salami or jerky for you but I cant seem to find anything on it or remeber the name does anybody know of a place? I simply dont have time to do it myself or I would.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Tooele Valley Meats? I think I was told this by one of our best duck hunters.:mrgreen:

Reactions: Jrdnmoore3

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thompson Meat in Roy told me they would do that, but I would have to have a lot of duck to do it. As for the possession limit, maybe go in with a buddy? I had never really thought of that.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I have heard of a game processing place in Utah that will turn X amount of ducks/geese into salami or jerky for you but I cant seem to find anything on it or remeber the name does anybody know of a place? I simply dont have time to do it myself or I would.
We're working out the kinks for jerky. Son made some over the weekend and it got over done. Had only used a couple of gadwalls so no big loss and the grandson actually still ate it. Next time we're going to try a different flavoring and not cook it so long.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Clays will do it after there big game season is over and tooele Valley meats will do it as well. We have taken in over a limit and nothing has been said.You have to have a bunch. some place will take it if you have over 100 lbs of meat.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We're working out the kinks for jerky. Son made some over the weekend and it got over done. Had only used a couple of gadwalls so no big loss and the grandson actually still ate it. Next time we're going to try a different flavoring and not cook it so long.
I soak the thick cut up pieces in teriyaki mixed with a little brown sugar and ketchup for 24 hours, dehydrate for 6 hours, and they turn out perfect every time. The only problem I have is that if you don't eat it all within a week, it all gets sticky.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I soak the thick cut up pieces in teriyaki mixed with a little brown sugar and ketchup for 24 hours, dehydrate for 6 hours, and they turn out perfect every time. The only problem I have is that if you don't eat it all within a week, it all gets sticky.
What temperature setting do you use. We had ours in there for 3 hours and it was too dry. May have been too thin as well..

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
You must have a great dehydrator then. Mine is like a 550w with an on/off switch that heats a coil and blows air through the trays.
Yeah it has multiple temperature settings on it

·
Registered
62 Posts
You must have a great dehydrator then. Mine is like a 550w with an on/off switch that heats a coil and blows air through the trays.
Yeah it has multiple temperature settings on it
I make a lot of my duck into jerky, I use a "nesco" dehydrator set at 160.. I marinate for 24-48 hours and change up the flavor all the time. 6-8 hours depending on the cuts, usually try to cut it about a 1/4 " thick. Never had an issue with it lasting more then a week around my house Haha. When I make big batches I freeze it and it stays good for as long as I've needed it.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I make a lot of my duck into jerky, I use a "nesco" dehydrator set at 160.. I marinate for 24-48 hours and change up the flavor all the time. 6-8 hours depending on the cuts, usually try to cut it about a 1/4 " thick. Never had an issue with it lasting more then a week around my house Haha. When I make big batches I freeze it and it stays good for as long as I've needed it.
We set it on 160 but after 3 hours it was dried out badly. We did marinate it for 48 hours. I may have cut it too thin though I think it was less than 1/4" thick. It was all breast meat.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We set it on 160 but after 3 hours it was dried out badly. We did marinate it for 48 hours. I may have cut it too thin though I think it was less than 1/4" thick. It was all breast meat.
My next guess was you cut it too thin. I make mine pretty thick and sometimes I even make little steak nuggets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thickness and salt content affect the dry time. I would just test it when you can check on it every 30 min and figure out your time-line for the size, seasoning, and dehydrator that works to your desired results! Good luck - both in the kitchen and the Marsh!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've used Champion Meats in Riverdale and they've done a good job. Most of the places will have a minumum limit of pounds you have to bring in, and usually that minimum number is over the legal possession for a single person. Go in with some buddies or buy enough licenses for your household to stay legal.

·
Lost Member
106 Posts
I put mine through a meat grinder (and sometimes even mix in some ground turkey or chicken) then run it through my jerky maker to make the strips. Dry for about 4-6 hours and comes out great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts