Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Take a few duck breasts, cut them into strips the short way across the breast. Marinate in whatever you choose... I have a marinade I got out of a cookbook that makes em pretty tasty. Anyway, after you let them marinate overnight, then take a half strip of bacon, a chunk of pineapple and wrap the breast strip around the pineapple. Then wrap the strip of bacon around the breast meat. Toothpick it all together, making sure you get the strip of duck, bacon and the chunk of pineapple, otherwise it falls apart. You can grill them or do like I do, putting them on a baking pan in the oven set at 450 or broil on the top rack for about ten minutes on each side or until the bacon starts to turn crispy. The pineapple will give a sweet taste to the duck meat and the grease from the bacon is basting the meat while it cooks... good eats. I also took some ducks I shot yesterday, seasoned the heck out of them with salt, garlic salt, meat tenderizer, and some seasonall and pan fried little chunks of meat to make duck nuggets for my daughter and I. Good stuff but I think I went a little overboard on the seasoning... :oops:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried three different things for lunch today. (Let me say first, I've had duck a couple of times in the past and understand why they call them sky carp.)

After shooting these ducks a few days ago

I sliced up the meat in thin strips and let it soak in the fridge for three days. Then I prepared a few slices each in the following ways:

1. Your suggestion with the pineapple and duck wrapped in bacon.

2. A variation with onion/green pepper and duck wrapped in bacon.

3. Topped with various seasonings and coated in crushed corn flakes/french onions.

Then I fried them on the stove. Wow! Not only was it edible; it was downright tasty. My wife thought so, too. We liked each variation, but I think the pineapple one was my favorite.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'm really glad you liked it. I took some Gadwall, Teal and Pintail down to Vegas a couple years ago for my inlaws who hadn't had duck before and fried it up with the pineapple and they couldn't get enough of it. I think they were suprised as well. I think that sweetness from the pineapple really puts a good taste into it and of course, bacon is always good. :lol:
Noticed you have a Mallard, Gadwall and a Teal with your kids there.... those are some of the best eaters in my opinion.... I think the kind of duck plays a part in it as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The kind of duck plays a huge role in both texture and taste. Teal, gadwalls and mallards are the best. Personally pinnies are one of my least favorite. They have a really dense texture and I do not enjoy it. I use apple as my sweetener instead of pineapple. Just fry it with onion and right before it gets done through it a bunch of chunks of apples and it adds a very nice sweet taste.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Are you saying panfry the pieces with onion and then throw chunks of apple in with the onion and the duck meat?? That sounds pretty dang tasty... any particular apple or do you just throw whatever in?? My old landlady had some really tart apples in her orchard that I used to make cobblers from (so good) and I think those might really give some zip to the final concoction.... :D

·
Registered
424 Posts
I recently cooked a couple up with the recipe for hot wings on the Frank's Red Hot sauce bottle. That stuff was very good. Tastes just like hot wings and kept the meat nice and juicy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Exactly. I just through your common red apple in. I used to just fry it with onion and seasonings but one day my dad pulled an apple out of the fridge and said we should try something new. Lets just say I have not cooked it without an apple since.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Here's a recipe I got from a fly fishing guide in Montana.
Duck Kabobs.
1 cup Soy sauce
1 cup White wine
1 cup Hot sauce
Marinate duck breasts in this mixture for 24-48 hrs.
Cube breasts into 1 to 2" pieces.
Use toothpick, "shish kabob" duck cube with water chestnut on one side and pineapple chunk on other.
Wrap with 1/2 strip of bacon
Place under broiler about 10 minutes.
Turn over and cook about 10 more minutes.

He also suggested drinking a beer with them, I don't drink, but I do like the Kabobs!

Bugbuilder

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
RECIPE #1
Coat whole duck breats completely with olive oil. Sprinkle with Phil Robertson cajon spices (I prefer mild flavor). Cook on any George Forman electric lean mean grilling machine - exactly 7 minutes for larger ducks such as mallard, 6 minutes for medium ducks such as widgeon, and 5 minutes for small ducks such as teal. When finished cooking, slice into thin strips across the breast and ladle a spoon full of 'DUCK SAUCE' over the top. Serve immediately while still hot.

The cajon spice can be bought at Sportsmans or Wal Mart. The 'DUCK SAUCE' can be found at some grocery stores such as Albertsons or Smiths. The sauce will be in the oreintal section and is made by DYNESTY and KAME to name two brands. It is a sweet sauce with peaches, aprocats, a/o pinapple in a corn syrup base.

DO NOT OVER COOK! The meat should be pink in the middle for best eating.

RECIPE #2
Cube duck meat about 1" square. Coat with scrambled raw egg. Then coat with finely crushed Sour Cream & Onion potato chips. Bake in 350 oven for EXACTLY 20 minutes. Serve with Wingers Original Amazing Sauce for dipping.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have a couple of goose breasts brining in worsechestershire and salt in the fridge right now. It's been a while since I had a goose. :mrgreen:

RiverRat, have you ever done the bacon/pineapple thing w/ goose? I have always just roasted them in onion soup and served sliced over fresh bread. (My 4 year old was with me when we got it; his eyes were as big as silver dollars when that thing came down! Good times!)

For ducks, I think that the 'rub and grill' effect is the best way to eat them. Maybe I'll just cut the goose down to duck size and do just that.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
No, I've never cooked a goose before. I've actually never killed a goose, although I've had my shots. Tumblingwings, the guy I hunted with this year says they cook up just like a beef roast... but I'm not sure how he cooks em. He's shot a couple this year. I'd like to get a little more adventurous with my bird cooking but when I think about that and the possibility of screwing it up, I usually just wind up going with the tried and true recipes. I did try slow cooking a mess of duck breast meat in barbeque sauce in a crockpot once but it came out really dry and I wasn't a big fan of that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
woollybugger said:
RiverRat, have you ever done the bacon/pineapple thing w/ goose?
Yes! It is very good!
We had ham and turkey for Christmas dinner with my family and I had just shot a goose the morning before so I Kabob'd it and took it to dinner. My family ate it all gone! There was ham and turkey left over.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have done the roast style goose and it is really good. It is just a really dense lean roast. Put a couple small cuts in the meat and insert garlic in each one. Then just put a potato and onion and carrots in the crock pot and just do it like a roast. Good and juicy. I also enjoy goose chili and goose stirfry.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Riverrat77 said:
I did try slow cooking a mess of duck breast meat in barbeque sauce in a crockpot once but it came out really dry and I wasn't a big fan of that.
Do that again, only this time put the meat and sauce in the 'fridge for at least 3 days. Then slice the meat and make sandwiches with it. I also like to put mayo or Miricle Whip on the bread. It makes one of the best cold BBQ sandwiches ever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I nabbed a teal a few weeks back and had never cooked duck myself until then, others always prepared it. So I gave it my normal wild game treatment of putting it in the Crockpot with a bottle of O'Douls and a slew of garlic salt with the parsley in it and a little bit of butter. The breasts were tender and tasty. It was definitely one of the best ways I've had duck. Crockpots and O'Douls are wonderful tenderizers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
duck jerky is the way to go. i grind the meat up and add some mountain high cure and seasonings and some of my own seasonings and it tastes great. i can get people that hate duck and do not like most wild meat to eat my jerky and they love it.

another really good way to cook duck is deep fried. i marinate it in most anything and fry it up. one way we did it for new years was to cut the duck into small chunks, put in a ziplock, add cajon, garlic salt, seasoning salt and black pepper. mix very well, let sit over night and deep fry it. it was so good it was almost a race to get to the finished product first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts