Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my cow elk hunt on Mt. Dutton on Sat. It was a cold dry for the most part then very snowy in the end of the trip. I have one complaint about Dutton, lots of trash everywhere even way back away from the roads. It’s discouraging to hike back over a mile then find soda cans and cigarette packs in the beautiful spring fed meadow your hunting. Every turn out along the roads had bailing wire, cans, cigarettes, water bottles, candy wrappers, you name it it was on the mountain. Please don’t throw your trash on the ground, crush it and put back into the pocket you brought it out into the field in, and then throw it away when you get to a trash can. I always try to pick up one piece of trash out of every area I go into it was very easy to find one in fact my pockets where stuffed full at the end of the day. Between my brother and myself we filled a large hefty bag with trash left by others on the mountain. Please Please Please haul out what you haul in.

Ok enough of a rant about the trash. I got my elk the first day way to far back and it took us a day to haul it out. My brother was on elk every day but could not close the deal as the cows were very spooked. Funny we could walk right up on the bulls but the cows knew what was up. Lots and lots of small bull’s maybe Dutton could use some management tags next year? Saw a two HUGE bulls fight in this large meadow it started out soft but got REALLY MEAN that was a spectacle!!!

I’ll try to get some pictures up in a week or so to much work right now at home and work. Got some good shots of a turkey in the snow.

Allen

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Lots and lots of small bull's maybe Dutton could use some management tags next year?
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!! :evil:

Congrats on getting your cow, that is a bummer about the trash. What parts of the unit did you hunt?

PRO

·
Administrator
21,352 Posts
yak4fish said:
............Please don't throw your trash on the ground, crush it and put back into the pocket you brought it out into the field in, and then throw it away when you get to a trash can. I always try to pick up one piece of trash out of every area I go into it was very easy to find one in fact my pockets where stuffed full at the end of the day. Between my brother and myself we filled a large hefty bag with trash left by others on the mountain. Please Please Please haul out what you haul in.......................
What he said.

Hat's off to you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pro

We hunted the east south east side of the unit. Up East Hunt Creek up Cottonwood the elk seemed to be up high. In fact we saw nothing down low accept antelope and rabbits. Most of the other hunters were not seeing any elk. We were on elk every day mostly small bulls with a few big'uns in there. Just needed to get away from the roads to see elk.

Allen

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
yak4fish said:
Pro

We hunted the east south east side of the unit. Up East Hunt Creek up Cottonwood the elk seemed to be up high. In fact we saw nothing down low accept antelope and rabbits. Most of the other hunters were not seeing any elk. We were on elk every day mostly small bulls with a few big'uns in there. Just needed to get away from the roads to see elk.

Allen
That is where a buddy of mine said he found them last year. I didn't notice the trash on the September hunts, must be all those California rifle hunters. :shock: :wink: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nothing more frustrating than garbage on the roads, except for garbage well off the roads, it is a mentality I will never understand.

PRO

·
Registered
77 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I was hunting the late LE . My two Son's and I picked up a few old bottles and cans while we were hunting. I have taught my son's to leave it better than you found it. All the elk we got into were all up high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts