Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from the DWR and a hunter surrendered a tag so I am not hunting in two days after waiting over 12 years! The tag is for Kamas / North Slope Uintas. I have not been scouting or preparing as I had not drawn a tag this year. I am looking for help with finding bait for my bait stations. If you have any old food or know of a good source to find expired bait I would greatly appreciate any help. I just cleaned out my freezer and threw away my old food storage a few weeks ago! I need fryer grease, pastries, breads, meats, or anything you have. I am also open to help from anyone willing to share info on locating a bear baiting location. It takes 10 days to get a baiting permit and I cannot go out searching until Sunday. Help is greatly appreciated. I normally do plenty of my own scouting and so your comments about such are not needed or appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congrats on the tag! Despite the timing, I'm envious. I had this same tag back in 2019 and can't wait to draw it again someday. Where are you located and what part of the unit are you wanting/planning to hunt? If you want to shoot me a PM I'd be happy to share my info with you as well as everything the biologist told me. As far as bait, I went to an Arctic Circle and they sold me about 6 gallons of their old fry grease for $10. Some places may just give it to you. Also hit up Montgomery Furs up in Ogden, they have an Anise flavored Oil that worked really well. The other thing that worked for me was anything covered in molasses, marshmallows and funny enough popcorn covered with Cherry Kool-aid flavoring which was by far the bears favorite. They cleaned up the marshmallows and popcorn before anything else!

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Congrats on the tag! Despite the timing, I'm envious. I had this same tag back in 2019 and can't wait to draw it again someday. Where are you located and what part of the unit are you wanting/planning to hunt? If you want to shoot me a PM I'd be happy to share my info with you as well as everything the biologist told me. As far as bait, I went to an Arctic Circle and they sold me about 6 gallons of their old fry grease for $10. Some places may just give it to you. Also hit up Montgomery Furs up in Ogden, they have an Anise flavored Oil that worked really well. The other thing that worked for me was anything covered in molasses, marshmallows and funny enough popcorn covered with Cherry Kool-aid flavoring which was by far the bears favorite. They cleaned up the marshmallows and popcorn before anything else!

View attachment 148257
+1

Jello/koolaide popcorn is gold for bear baiting. Making or buying a bear lollipop is great too.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I've used the popcorn/Kool-Aid mix years ago and it was the best bait I used for myself and the bears. Light and easy to pack, and the bears loved it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I drew the Wasatch summer tag last year you are in for a incredible adventure! I'd be happy to share what I learned feel free to pm me if you want

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I hunted bears over bait about 5 years ago. My "go to" bait was bread and molasses. They loved that stuff. I think traditional maple syrup would work just as well. I rebaited my site every 3 days with 20-40 pounds of bait. Bear lollipops also work great--plenty of recipes on Youtube. I also got bigger bears by using the Bear Bomb Sow in Heat. June is breeding season for bears and that will attract bigger boars.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well? How did your hunt turn out? It's tough sledding when you don't have time to properly sco
Well? How did your hunt turn out? It's tough sledding when you don't have time to properly scout and prepare!
Thank you for asking. I did get some help from some of the great members of this forum but luck was not in my favor. I only had one sow show up on my cameras and it was a mature sow with a collar. It never showed up while I was hunting. It was a fun experience and would love to do it again with more time to prepare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts