Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any idea on what/how they are going deal with those wanting in next year? is it still gonna be first come first serve?

9er

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Of course it will be the same next year. Like any bureaucracy, the Division has a very hard time thinking outside of its little boxes. It's too bad, really. There's so much that could be done with just a little bit of innovation. But from their report, the DH committee only dealt with existing questions rather than develop new ones, like...

1. Since the WTF, USFS and others have had proven success with stewardship programs, how could a similar program be integrated into the DH program?

2. Since the existing infrastructure of the Division will only accommodate 10,000 volunteers, what new infrastructure could be developed to accommodate more hunters and make more meaningful use of volunteer services?

3. If collaboration with public organizations has been worthwhile for the Division, could partnerships with other organizations also be worthwhile? How could the DH program enable such partnerships?

4. Since law enforcement is all but non-existent in most areas of the state and since citizen patrols have been proven to be effective at least as a deterent, how could DH service be further used to enhance the capabilities of LEOs?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Very good point. I have interesat in #4. Although I have no interest in being a DH, is that what this world is coming to? You have to be a DH to patrol or keep an eye out for suspicious behavior? One of us members is afield every weekday and every weekend, maybe we should do something, no waiting in line, just do it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
HOGAN said:
You have to be a DH to patrol or keep an eye out for suspicious behavior?
Of course not, but the point of the DH program is to entice volunteers and RAC participation. And let's face it, most of us aren't actually out there looking for violations...we're hunting. Since visibility is a deterrent, I think DH hunters on visible patrol could be very effective, (not to confront or detain but only to educate and report).

The volunteers who work for the kids urban fishing clubs get a fishing vest with a patch for service each year. Most of us carry cell phones. It's not uncommon for lawbreakers to see us and react as though we're deputy fish cops. We're not, but the average citizen isn't likely to interrupt his fishing to report violations - the guys wearing vests certainly will.

A lot of stuff happens out of mindlessness and ignorance. If I tell another hunter that he's breaking the law, he'll likely tell me where I can put it. But if I have an aire of authority, (a vest, a cap, a sticker on my truck door), and if I've had just a little training in how to approach people, that guy is much more likely to pay attention...especially if he knows I'm in contact with the nearest LEO.

It's just an idea. I'm not a DH. (I do more volunteer work than the program requires, but I'm too greedy to give up a deer tag.) There's likely another couple thousand hunters out there who want to be. I see no good reason why they shouldn't be able to sign up.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
All I know is I got mine done on Jan 2nd and im enrolled baby. -()/- -()/- -()/- *()* *()* . If you sit on your ass and do nothing the opportunities will pass you by.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am also in. :D Glad I didn't wait around.
On the issue of having citizens confronting people there would be a huge liability in the case of something happening. With the use of a camera and or a cell phone I think the majority of people can make a difference just by paying attention and calling the proper authorities.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Respect my athoritii!!! Herriman utah, I recall about 1998? one of the first years of the dedicated hunting program, the town was starting to receive its share of the california influx. a family that had been hunting just south of rose canyon road for many generations was starting opening day with a first timer. First questionable shooting light, Father, son, and a couple of brothers/realatives Driving up to the traditonal hunting spot and a respectable three point buck is spotted on the side hill. The father quikly gets his boy ready to take his first buck after a brief stalk the mulie is dropped with one shot.(about 700 ft from the road). A very short time after the shot, two trucks come screeching around the bend and 7 to 8 hunters and residents jump out in a blind fury. The obvious leader of the group yells WHAT THE FULL UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING SHOOTING AT OUR HOMES!! The father of the son who had just taken his first buck was shocked, To his credit he kept his composure as the the locals torn him and his group up one side and down the other. And they were right. The houses in question were on the other side of the hill my guess would be about 600 yards they were yelling 200yards.
the shot was safe and ethical. These gents were POed because they did not get the shot, they were also hunting and i have no illusions that if they would have been the first ones up they would have taken the buck! All that aside the situation was getting out of control the young hunter as far as i could tell from my vantage point was in tears, the father was apolagetic to no end, and the brothers sat quitely listening to the rant of the locals. Calling themselves the dedicated hunters of the DWR. And claiming that they had been duly swore by the DWR as commisioned officers. This went on for about 10 min or so until the father of the group got fed up with language. (paraphrasing) He said well then lets go call a ranger and i will tell them what happened and suffer any consiquiences that may be coming my way. He also made mention that saying you are a commisioned federal agent is also breaking the law, and the punishment would have a severe end. This calmed the crew right down, with some last colorful comments the locals left, and traveled farther up the hill to hunt on a army base close by(camp roberts?) I later watched them take two 2*2s on illegal hunting grounds. I was the first hunter up the hill that morning and had passed the three point buck on the road, parked about 100 yrds higher than the buck and started along the side hill for a first light shot. Niether of the two hunting partys knew i was witness to the entire event.(even in my orange) but i had great seats to the event, and was able to hear every word. I would have taken the shot no questions asked, I felt the homes were well out of the hunting area, but in retrospect if you drilled a hole right through the mountain they could have been about 400 yrds away. I would also have been in the wrong. The point being if the DWR is in any way suggesting that DH are to also be law enforcing hunters, the DWR has really derailed, and is setting itself up for much saddness. I do beleive that reporting an incedent is much diferent from confrontation. This was the first time up until this post that i had heard DH being used to enforce hunting laws, it makes me want to read about the DH and find out what kind of authority the DWR is bestowing upon the elite unit of the DH.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
soules2007 said:
The point being if the DWR is in any way suggesting that DH are to also be law enforcing hunters, the DWR has really derailed, and is setting itself up for much saddness. I do beleive that reporting an incedent is much diferent from confrontation. This was the first time up until this post that i had heard DH being used to enforce hunting laws, it makes me want to read about the DH and find out what kind of authority the DWR is bestowing upon the elite unit of the DH.
We "ARE NOT" bestowed with any LE duties or anything along those lines. We are given the "Priveledge" to hunt three seasons for mule deer buck, for what I consider a very small price.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
TRDHUNTER said:
On the issue of having citizens confronting people there would be a huge liability in the case of something happening. With the use of a camera and or a cell phone I think the majority of people can make a difference just by paying attention and calling the proper authorities.
Of course they can, and they do. That's not the point. Confrontation isn't the point, either. Helping law enforcement and being law enforcement are totally different things. At present, DH volunteers help with checkpoints during the hunts, so liability isn't an issue when it comes to citizens helping with law enforcement.

The fact is, even with citizen support, there's a crying need for more enforcement and that need is directly tied to the welfare of wildlife. There's no significant funding for enforcement in the works. There likely won't be anytime soon.

But like I said, it's just an idea. Bottom line - there's no reason to cap the DH program. So why does the DWR hobble itself?

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
But like I said, it's just an idea. Bottom line - there's no reason to cap the DH program. So why does the DWR hobble itself?
It can be a hobble to the DWR, but DH can pick their own region and if you have unlimited or raised the cap on the DH program then less people would draw who arent in the DH program. If you are talking about no cap then why not have everyone be in the DH program and everyone is required to put in service hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts