Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully one of the DWR people can help here. It seems that the DWR and the National Rec people really want to keep these things from spreading. With that being said it seems dumb to PAY a guy at the top of the Powell ramp asking me where my boat last was when I was there two weeks ago! On to last week... I knew the boat was going heading to Strawberry the next Saturday after having been to Powell. Monday morning I called the Utah Lake State park on several occasions and left a message to schedule a decon....crickets. So I called the central office and they gave me the name and number of the woman in charge of the central region and I also left a message for her...crickets. Figured we would decon at Daniels in the morning at the port of entry...unit is gone and its a ghost town!!! DWR until you take this problem seriously no one else will. I think most people are wiling to do their part...some will probably never care, but when it is an absolute joke with how difficult it is, it will be sooner than later til all our waters have the STD of the sea!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
This might be against what you believe, But I feel that the DWR de-contamination stations are more for our convenience, rather than their requirement to provide them. We know what waters have mussels, if you elect to take your boat on those waters, you should be responsible to have your boat de-contaminated. Pay the money to have it professionally done, rather than expecting a DWR agent to chase everyone in the state around from water to water.

Like I said, It might not be a popular opinion, but I see it as one of the many costs that go along with owning a boat!!!!!

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
They should simplify this by putting a sticker on any boat that enters contaminated water. The sticker can then only legally be removed by a decontamination team. Any boat with a sticker could re-enter contaminated waters for example, but it would be an uber fine to try and enter non-contaminated waters with the sticker.

Decently simple, and trackable. Could even be as simple as adding a bar-code to the Hull sticker that natural resources / forest service personal can scan in the field.

-DallanC

·
Registered
24 Posts
DWR until you take this problem seriously no one else will. I think most people are wiling to do their part...some will probably never care, but when it is an absolute joke with how difficult it is, it will be sooner than later til all our waters have the STD of the sea!!!
The DWR, along with the entire Department of Natural Resources, definitely does take this issue very seriously. Much of the problem you've described is about manpower. Hiring seasonal employees to staff the boat ramps, conducting both routine & random check points and, then, supervising this small army of temporary employees that mostly vanishes toward the end of the boating season and through the winter, is a huge and very expensive task that must be done in the most cost-effective, standardized way possible given the finite resources available for the job.

As Troutslayer mentioned above, it boils down to being everyone's responsibility to do their part to stop the spread of these mussels. Interdiction from us can only accomplish so much no matter how much money might be available for the job. Going forward, we'll be trying to develop a better online presence regarding decontamination station locations and setting up appointments online, but again, it's subject to available resources.

Ultimately it boils down to people taking it upon themselves to ensure that they decontaminate their boats while encouraging others to do the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As of July 1, 2015 its in effect anyone registering a boat IS paying a 10.00 for AIS funding...I am paying for it. Utah lake state park has a people there full time that we are paying for as well. Im told Strawberry was mad house Saturday. Im sure none of those boats were on deer creek or lake powell recently though since the temps have cooled...you need the stations more in the spring and fall when the temps are lower than thru the middle of the summer when sitting 3 days takes care of the problem...just my $.02 though

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Responsibility

Ultimately it boils down to people taking it upon themselves to ensure that they decontaminate their boats while encouraging others to do the same.
Hear hear! Bravo! I couldn't agree more. The program absolutely fails if the boating public doesn't wholeheartedly support it.

Sorry Gus, but it was YOUR responsibility to have the boat decontaminated before launching it in Strawberry, not the state's responsibility. And for the record, the drying period during the summer months is 7 days; not 3.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So wait, am I hearing right that because the DWR didn't respond you decided to launch at Strawberry a week after being in Powell with no decontamination done in between? The recommended quarantine time for this month is 13 days, you didn't wait that long. I don't usually express judgment on the forum here, but if you did that it was a stupid decision. By the way, the decon station at Deer Creek has been available and manned every time I've been there on the weekend for the last three weeks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
So wait, am I hearing right that because the DWR didn't respond you decided to launch at Strawberry a week after being in Powell with no decontamination done in between? The recommended quarantine time for this month is 13 days, you didn't wait that long. I don't usually express judgment on the forum here, but if you did that it was a stupid decision. By the way, the decon station at Deer Creek has been available and manned every time I've been there on the weekend for the last three weeks.
Uhh, don't you mean 18 days?

⫸<{{{{{⦇°>

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Problem is, its going to spread and not from boats. Too many non-boating people can inadvertently spread this. Just this morning at work I was talking to a couple co-workers about chickens, one admitted he liked to get buckets of crawfish and bring them home alive to feed to his turtles and chickens. I pointed out that its illegal to transport them alive, but also bringing along a bucket of water from the lake is also a baaaaaaddddd idea. He's been just emptying it down his drain in his house, which means Utah lake will have them next...

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The site I was using was http://www.100thmeridian.org/emersion.asp. For northern Utah up here it's 13 days, down in the Lake Powell area it's 18 days. Regardless, the inference I get from the original post is that the regulations were ignored and someone launched a boat that was possibly infested into what is probably the most popular fishery in the state.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
The site I was using was http://www.100thmeridian.org/emersion.asp. For northern Utah up here it's 13 days, down in the Lake Powell area it's 18 days.
100th meridian gives good advice (13 days) but the Utah rule is 18 days (Fall / Spring).

Regardless, the inference I get from the original post is that the regulations were ignored and someone launched a boat that was possibly infested into what is probably the most popular fishery in the state.
Exactly. Gus should get a citation. In his original post he mentions:
Hopefully one of the DWR people can help here.
I hope so too -- I hope they read this, and use this thread to issue a citation to Gus.

Gus -- It is YOUR responsibility. If you cannot get your boat cleaned, then you are required to allow the mandatory 18 days drying period prior to launching your boat at a non-infested water.

Reactions: Ifish

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Jedidiah,

Your point is well taken, IF he launched the boat without decontaminating it, he used VERY poor judgment and may have possibly violated the law.

However, your reference to the 100th Meridian site is misleading. A more appropriate reference would be to the "Utah Decontamination Protocols" which state in part:

DRY boats, construction equipment and other wetted equipment as a final step to kill undetected AIS, some of which can live out of the water for as long as 30 days. Temperature and humidity affect drying time, so in Utah in the areas where most people live dry time is 7 days in summer (June, July & August); 18 days in Spring (March, April & May) and Fall (September, October & November); and 30 days in Winter (December, January & February). Due to occasional extended freezing temperatures in winter, properly winterized equipment can be exposed for 72 consecutive hours of subfreezing temperature to kill AIS.

Exact dry time per month for specific locations in the United States can be determined by using the 100th Meridian Initiative's "Quarantine Estimator for Zebra-Mussel Contaminated Boats" at http://www.100thmeridian.org/emersion.asp. Although the estimator was designed for zebra mussels, which survive for as long as 30 days out of the water and likely survive longer than the other AIS, it is believed to be suitable for determining dry time for all AIS.
While the 100th Meridian estimator is referenced for EXACT times, the 7, 18, and 30 day periods are the ones that are in common use by most, if not all, DWR personnel.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have to agree

Gus -- It is YOUR responsibility. If you cannot get your boat cleaned, then you are required to allow the mandatory 18 days drying period prior to launching your boat at a non-infested water.
A little harsh IMHO ( :) ), but technically correct. The responsibility rests entirely on Gus' shoulders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To all of you who think I fished Saturday...my post says I'm told Strawberry was a mad house Saturday....so until I'm guilty keep your citation. I didn't launch.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
But you drove up through Daniels to see a ghost town?

Ive gotta agree with what's been said before, Not DWR's responsibility to make sure your boat is decontaminated. Its the boat owners responsibility to make sure their boat is muscle free. From what I understand, the $10 fee is primarily used for education, not necessarily on the decontamination stations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I drove to Daniels...the lady at the DWR wouldn't call back so I was hoping it was open.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It really looked like you were saying you did put in up there. I wanted to repeat the part about the decontamination station at Deer Creek, if you're driving past it anyway you could easily stop in and get decontaminated there.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Gotta love the forum hero's sitting here on their high horses demanding citations when they have jack crap for information and have even worse reading comprehension skills. Gus never said he launched and from my reading he is taking the situation serious--the guy called several state employees and expected a little communication and you jokers give him nothing but crap. It's no wonder people don't want to post stuff here. I second guess it every time I think I have something cool to share.

Also instead of being a bunch of chickens peckin on somebody tryin to do the right thing I haven't read one post telling Gus where he could go and get his boat decontaminated by a private company. The whole->"well I seen this one and that one opened one time on the weekend three times past" is not helpful. I don't know where he should/could get it decontaminated by somebody and from what I understand a car wash aint cuttin it. So instead of piling up crap on a relatively low poster looking for some communication, why don't you knot heads offer some help. Judas flippin priest this place gets daft sometimes.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts