Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use them? I just got one for my 1 year old lab. Does anyone have any tips for using them and when to use them. I just want to avoid doing more harm than good when using it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's used to train instead of punishing the pup for not listening. This is a HUGE misconception of these collars. When you put it on him, take him outside and do something he enjoys so he looks forward to the collar being put on. I've seen people's dogs live in anxiety because of the collar. You can tell this by the tail's position.

You need to get a choke collar on your dog with the training collar. Put the collar on a low setting. Test it by putting it on your dog, and pressing the button. If he dog's ears twitch and he acknowledges the collar, that's enough. If the dog clinches or is vocal, it's way too high. Each time you give the dog a command to stay with you, you pull on the chain, give him a little buzz, and shout "heel." Eventually you can take away the chain and just use the collar. When you're confident enough, you can do without both. Same idea applies to everything you teach him. To sit, pull up on the choke chain to lift his neck, give him a little buzz until he sits. When he sits, let off the chain and button. When you're teaching him to stay, sit him down, show the palm of your hand, and get him used to the word stay. To teach him "come" you'll pull on the chain and give a little buzz at the same time and yell "come!" Graduate to a long rope until you no longer need a chain or rope. Then just give a little buzz when you yell come. Eventually, you'll get off the collar. The lay down command will use the choke collar and the training collar as well. Step on the chain to make his head go to the ground and eventually his body will follow. Keep in mind you're not stomping on the chain. While he is going down, give him a buzz until he's laying. Remember to associate the desired vocabulary with the command. He'll learn what lay means if you say it, and have him follow that command. With most dogs, they will pick up on this pretty quick and learn to obey. But you need to dedicate yourself to train daily. Work on maybe one skill a day to not overwhelm. Also, too many treats ruin a dog. Make sure they are obeying for you and not for the treats.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Do they make shock collars for 19 month old kids....jeeze this grandson is a terror. He is going to be one of those kids that has a punch card for the emergency room. There is nothing this little terror won't try, several times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I used the pinch collar I have in conjunction with the shock collar. I haven't turned it used it to shock just yet, just have it on to get her used to it, but I pull up on the pinch collar for sit, down on the leash for the down command, and I tell her to stay and I walk away and and tug on the leash as I reiterate the stay command, she doesn't budge. She's known all these commands already for a while now, she just sometimes will lose focus and be a little stubborn, which is why I got the collar in the first place, just as you all have said to reinforce a command the dog already knows.

I'll start giving her a Nick on the collar after a few more sessions and see how she reacts to it

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
From a dog trainer back east, I was told to command with a small buzz. Eventually, he'll associate your yell with the buzz and obey without it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Take UTMuddy up on his offer. E-collar isn't hard, but it's counter-intuitive. You want some guidance. Plenty on the inter-webs too, if that isn't convenient. Watch a bunch of free video before you turn that thing on- if you don't, you'll wish you had.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A E-collar is not something you strap around the dogs neck and apply pressure with.
You must train the dog first. Then condition him to a collar correction so he understands whats going on. If not a good dog can become a mess and won't leave your side where it's safe.
Look up collar conditioning on the interweb and talk with Utmuddguy

Spry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts