Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16 year old that is a die hard waterfowler and is looking to do an Eagle Scout project to benefit waterfowl in some way. Any suggestions or contacts that may help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
8,119 Posts
I might suggest asking him to organize a marsh cleanup where he coordinated with groups to pick up hulls and wads throughout a WMA.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. As much as I love the burning phrag idea, I think the clean up project would involve a little less of the authorities. He has actually mentioned wanting to do a clean up project, and there is definitely plenty to clean up!

·
Registered
122 Posts
He could also build duck or goose nests. There are certain clubs and WMA's that allow them. PM me if you would like more information on this avenue.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Call Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge and talk to Howard the Refuge biologist.

If you were down around Richfield I could find you a project.

·
Registered
548 Posts
http://wasatchwigeons.org/
The Wasatch Wigeon Association has a B.S.A. coordinator specifically for boys looking for service projects and Eagle projects. We have had boys build and install wood duck nest boxes and we have an Eagle Scout project being done right now building the DWR goose nest boxes. Check out the website or message me and I can get the contact info if you are interested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My son's eagle project was to clean up trash along the Weber between Rockport and Echo for one summer. He also fixed the fisherman access ladders over the fences. He contacted the DWR to get the new ladders where the old ones couldn't be fixed.

·
Administrator
8,119 Posts
My son's eagle project was to clean up trash along the Weber between Rockport and Echo for one summer. He also fixed the fisherman access ladders over the fences. He contacted the DWR to get the new ladders where the old ones couldn't be fixed.
I have made that run a couple times as well. I worked with the Walk In Access Manager (Clint) on this and it is something that desperately needs to be done.

I'd definitely commend a youth for doing this project as it really goes a long way in preserving WIA areas for fishermen.

·
Registered
622 Posts
you could try the Bear River Bird Refuge...... I know they welcome scout projects... they have some red tape as usual but wouldn't hurt to give them a call..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate all the ideas. I've passed on the info, and helped him find some numbers to call. I will keep you guys posted on what he ends up doing. Again thank you for all the replies.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look up Carl the duckman Taylor with Wild Over Wood ducks and have him give you plans and tell you what you need to do wood duck nesting boxes. Thats what I did and it was awesome!!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
You can also contact the Louisiana department of wildlife. They've been building wood duck nesting boxes for 50+ years. They'll give you the plans and recommendations for installing them free

1 - 16 of 16 Posts