Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
This year I drew the la sal la sal LE Early bull elk tag. I’ve never hunted this unit before, I’m looking for any advice or suggestions for a good place to start looking for elk, Any information is greatly appreciated! I’ve heard from different hunters some say this unit is an amazing unit, and others say it’s not so great. I’m sure it’s as good as you make it so any advice would be great

·
Super Moderator
3,397 Posts
Congrats on the tag - it’s a super cool unit.

Look at the Utah Hunt Planner, call the biologist, and it won’t hurt to focus a little on the Taylor Flat/Pine Ridge area. Also, some good bulls get killed every year near the La Sal Loop road.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts

Look at the Utah Hunt Planner, call the biologist, and it won’t hurt to focus a little on the Taylor Flat/Pine Ridge area. Also, some good bulls get killed every year near the La Sal Loop road.
+1

·
Registered
793 Posts
What possessed you to apply for a unit you've never stepped foot on before? Just point shopping?

As soon as the gunshots are rung out, many in the Taylor Flat area run into the Redd Ranches, and JB Ranch CWMU. That's not to say they all do. But many will. The quality of the bulls there have gone down year after year over the past several years. If you see a decent 6 in the 300" range, I wouldn't really hesitate on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for this info i Appreciate it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What possessed you to apply for a unit you've never stepped foot on before? Just point shopping?

As soon as the gunshots are rung out, many in the Taylor Flat area run into the Redd Ranches, and JB Ranch CWMU. That's not to say they all do. But many will. The quality of the bulls there have gone down year after year over the past several years. If you see a decent 6 in the 300" range, I wouldn't really hesitate on it.
To be honest yes I decided to try for a unit I’ve never hunted before for ****s and giggles never thought I would actually draw the tag, But now I’m glad I did, Thank you for the information

·
Registered
376 Posts
My friend had the tag last year. Called in some great bulls. They do not go running to Redd ranches as stated. We saw Bachelor herds while we were there that had 300" 6X6's in them. It was amazing! Everywhere we went there were elk. He ended up shooting a Big 5X5 after passing a 350 bull 2 days earlier.

·
Registered
793 Posts
My friend had the tag last year. Called in some great bulls. They do not go running to Redd ranches as stated. We saw Bachelor herds while we were there that had 300" 6X6's in them. It was amazing! Everywhere we went there were elk. He ended up shooting a Big 5X5 after passing a 350 bull 2 days earlier.
Interesting... As said, not all do. But my 20-years experience in that area would suggest otherwise. Personally watching herds of elk hop the fence onto Redds you know.. Multiple times... The last 350 bull taken on the unit happened about 3-years ago and it was taken by a private hunter with a guide on Redds. That bull scored 354. And honestly it looked bigger than that on the hoof. I am sure there's still some really nice bulls there. But it's not what it was 10-years ago. The biggest bulls taken in the area generally are taken on Redds and JBs. Obviously I don't see every bull on the unit, but am pretty in touch with what's going on there. I did see a massive 5-point about 3-years ago down there that I would have put in that 350 range. And that's saying something for a 5-point! Most of the herd bulls I've seen in the last 2-3 years I would put in the low 300s maybe even 290s. Which is why I would recommend seriously considering a decent 6-point. If your hunting for a 350-360 bull, take some awesome seasoning for your tag soup.

The west side of the range offers the La Sal Loop Road which attracts a lot of tourists. This is somewhat a busy road with often times organized events that include biking, jeeping, etc. Yes you can find elk over there. But you are more likely to find elk on the other side. Tourists find their way over to Hidden and Dons Lake as well but probably not as many.

I am not trying to come across negative to anyone. Just saying what I've observed. The reality is with this years dates to hunt, a hunter with the early rifle tag will be hunting the very heart of the rut. The black powder dates are borderline too late in my opinion. A hunter should be able to find elk anywhere over in that general area and follow the bugles. The elk in the Taylor Flat area, Pine Ridge, etc have a couple of escape routes. One is toward Redds, and the other toward JBs. As you know, they are quite close to each other. The elk do run into those areas. But they still come out, especially satellite bulls looking for cows. I believe a 320-330 bull is a possibility there. And a 330 bull could be mistaken for a 350 bull pretty easily.

Good luck to Alma.. Seriously

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drew the archery LE tag for La Sal La Sal and just got back from having a look around for the last few days. It was also my first time in the area and I'd definitely recommend getting down there and driving around for a day or two to get the lay of the land. I went and camped in the Taylor flat area this time around.

My initial impressions are:
-The areas described in the hunt planner are smaller than they look on the map, but they're all great habitat.

-Definitely going to contend with private land/roads more than I had anticipated. Can't access the deep creek trail or the upper half of bar a creek because of the chunk of private halfway up the hill. They have the road gated off so as far as I can tell there's no simple way to get up there. (still a good amount of good looking terrain available though, just be aware)

-There are definitely a lot of critters running around, saw a lot of deer and elk in the last 48 hours.

-The map doesn't necessarily tell the truth on which roads exist and which ones don't, I'll be making another trip or two down there to figure it out before game time.

-I don't obviously have much experience with the area but it was a lot dryer than I anticipated even given the drought, should be interesting by August.

I'm happy to swap info as I learn more. I've hunted a lot in general seasons but this is the first time I've cashed in points for an elk tag so I'll be going the extra mile to figure it out this year. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
OK, here is the real deal about the Taylor flat area. I have hunted that area for 31 years, every year, year in and year out. Hunted deer, elk, chickens, and turkeys. But to save you all the trouble and worry of reading any more post about the area, or telling tails of the old days and the miles and miles of beautiful old growth quaky forests with waist deep feed and green meadows with grazing fat elk, I'll just say this, re-read what Big-T wrote...he is spot on and up to date on the reality of the Taylor Flat and other areas in the LaSal Mts.
There are a few elk running around down there and even a few that stay off the private land, There are a couple big boys hustling up the cows and a few rag horns(damnn, I hate that expression) hoping for some action. Over all, I would say there are most likely three groups of elk in that area, so if you find a group, stay after them if you can and shoot what ever bull you see, if you want. There's no place you can simply walk and get away from the crowds, and most likely there won't be a "he's too small, we'll see a bigger one tomorrow", 'cause if you're lucky enough to see them today, tomorrow it'll be the same little herd with the same little bull.
So, in passing, I'll just say...take plenty of water, find a shady spot to camp. ignore the three inches of dust on the roads, don't sight in your rifle where you're going to hunt, and, most of all, be safe and have fun. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts