Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Early season divers? (Follow-up report added)

What species of divers are around the GSL marshes right now? I've heard rumors of a few ruddies and redheads. Anything else? I'm specifically wondering if we have a few ringnecks around.

I normally don't try diver hunting until about November, but I'm thinking about giving it a go tomorrow and wondering how many birds I'll see and what decoys would be appropriate.

I couldn't do any hunting or scouting this week due to school, so I appreciate any feedback. I'll gladly give a follow-up on what I see when I get back tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks!

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I saw a guy with Ruddy on opening morning. He had no clue what kind of duck it was either...

·
1,666 Posts
I kind of want to go to Farmington Unit 1 and get a limit of Ruddies.

I saw a few nice looking drakes just on the wrong side of the rest area.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Just curious, why would you shoot a ruddy?
Dunno South Carolina, never shot a ruddy. It was some guy I saw with one. Or is it Southern California transplant?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Hey sorry about all that bad weather and destruction back in your home state. They even moved the SC LSU game to BR for tomorrow

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were definitely some ruddies around, but I didn't manage a shot at any of them today (the **** things are really good at sneaking by unnoticed).

I missed on a pair of Canvasbacks and a single Redhead. Not a ton of divers around, but I was glad to find what I had hoped for and get a chance at some nice birds.

I ended the day with two green-winged teal. Nine birds so far this season, and all of them have been greenwings.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not the best picture in the world, but here you go. I wish there was a Canvasback or two next to them, but I seem to be really good at missing those.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts