Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed up to east canyon today. Got there around 8am. Fished till 1230. Got six on the ice, kept one (didnt have those nasty parasites). Most were in the 15-16" range. It was fun for my first time ice fishing. I can only imagine how nice it would be if it wasnt snowing so **** hard.
The fish were biting on those Chartruse Maniac Ice Cutters tipped with a red salmon egg. I was holding it two or three feet off the bottom. You could sure tell when the schools would come by. I had two poles in and they would both go nuts. The funny thing is that I was only able to get the fish on the ice with one of the two rods. Same set up on both but the one rod never got one to the surface. Who knows maybe just a coinsidence.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Glad you iced some fish on your first ice fishin' trip! Fishing with two poles can be a riot when those schools come through...

How thick is the ice at East Canyon?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sliverflick said:
Glad you iced some fish on your first ice fishin' trip! Fishing with two poles can be a riot when those schools come through...

How thick is the ice at East Canyon?
It was about 6 inches I would guess. My back says it is a lot thicker, but my mind told it to shut up and quit whining.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I had two poles in and they would both go nuts. The funny thing is that I was only able to get the fish on the ice with one of the two rods. Same set up on both but the one rod never got one to the surface. Who knows maybe just a coinsidence.[/quote]

I would guess that one hook was sharper than the other one.
I have had a hard time finding good jig heads at the stores.
My son and I decided to make our own.
We buy with good quality hooks and pour the lead heads on the hooks using a jig mold. The results have been a lot more fish hooked and hooked very well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grandpa D said:
I had two poles in and they would both go nuts. The funny thing is that I was only able to get the fish on the ice with one of the two rods. Same set up on both but the one rod never got one to the surface. Who knows maybe just a coinsidence.
I would guess that one hook was sharper than the other one.
I have had a hard time finding good jig heads at the stores.
My son and I decided to make our own.
We buy with good quality hooks and pour the lead heads on the hooks using a jig mold. The results have been a lot more fish hooked and hooked very well.[/quote]

It seemed more like irony than anything. The one rod just seemed to get them on the ice. It lost a few aswell just not all of them. The jigs are sharp. I sharpen all of my own hooks for the most part when I buy them, except for the generic trebel and snell hooks for bait. Anyway, it was almost like one of those days when you go fishing with a buddy and he catches all the fish and you cant even get a bite, even though you are using the same thing. The one rod just couldnt get them to the surface. I had a blast, and my cheeks are wind burned to prove it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: East Canyon 1/5

We went up there on the 5th... It was a blizzard but worth it. We fished by the marina. It was great fishing. It was the first time I have ever fished inside a tent. I felt like I was cheating. I could see the bottom and the fish taking my jig. We caught our limits using Ice cutters, paddle bugs and power bait. The Ice was only about 3 inches thick, I was a little worried but it held. We were catching them about two feet off the bottom.

I also went two weeks ago to Taylor's Hallow and knocked them dead using Ice Cutters, they were hitting it only 5 feet down. I caught my limit in less then an hour. The ice was about 4-5 inches.

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts