Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to East Canyon dark and early... and really cold! Parked on the East side somewhere and hiked down. My friend who had previously only caught one fish in his entire life ended up catching 5 bows between 14-16 inches, boy was he exited! I caught three small bows, and had lots of bites throughout the morning. I was hoping to catch a Tiger, but I will go back again soon. I also didnt' realize that there were an abundance of Crayfish in there...The first thing I saw when I was filling up a clear bubble was what I thought was a big rock or piece of plastic, but no it was a massive crawdad! Unfortunately I had forgotten my trap and bait, I will have to remember that as well next time! It was so cold when we first got there at 6:00 am that when I was casting and retrieving, the end guide on the pole would freeze up and there would be a big ball of ice! :shock: I have usually been pretty succesfull with using powerbait, but when it comes to using lures, I could use some serious help. The only time I ever catch fish on lures is at Community ponds. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I have used several different types of lures, with different patters, but still no luck. Any advice?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Wow, sounds like a fun day. My rods got the ice treatment on Sunday. Brrrr!

Still no tigers, eh? Keep at it...You'll get one.

With lures, you just have to feel them out. With a spinner, you'll feel the vibration just right when you hit the right speed of retrieval. With a Jake's, you'll want to go a little slower with a jig of the tip of your rod every couple of turns. Same with a rapala, but you may want to periodically wave your pole around to get it swimming frantically. I like to give about 3 light jigs in a row, then reel in slowly and then 3 more jigs and move my pole to the other side of my body and repeat...All while keeping tension on the line.

Get to Scofield and go by the dam. Try the minnow thing for the bigger tigers and the Jake's thing for the dinks while you wait. You'll get your tiger.

Congrats to your friend, too.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts