Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were you at the upper end of Little Dell where the highway is gated off? I was just there this morning and saw no signs closing the road off to wheelers or sleds. Just have to be able to fit your machine around the right side of the gate. Looks no different than it has been for the last 10 years.

And no, no cows sighted. We need ALOT more snow. 4 bulls were the only brown I saw.
Yes, there was a unified PD trailer sign behind the gate on the right hand side right where you can usually go around the gate that was flashing "road closed no atvs or side by sides"

There were guys that had a snowmobile up there that had been up Friday and saw the sign, they were also planning on taking wheelers, but saw the sign and brought up there snow mobiles instead.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes, there was a unified PD trailer sign behind the gate on the right hand side right where you can usually go around the gate that was flashing "road closed no atvs or side by sides"

There were guys that had a snowmobile up there that had been up Friday and saw the sign, they were also planning on taking wheelers, but saw the sign and brought up there snow mobiles instead.
Well, there was nothing like that today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been up in that neighborhood quite a bit this season. I have not seen a cow yet. Hope the next couple weeks get more productive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Went up this morning and nothing, though there were quite a few guys hiking in. Did see a moose across the reservoir.

FYI the no ATV sign is gone.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Went up this morning and nothing, though there were quite a few guys hiking in. Did see a moose across the reservoir.

FYI the no ATV sign is gone.
Thanks for the update. Cows are still doing their obi-one I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been up hunting the past couple days. A few bulls around on the highest ridges, a handful of cows in some very difficult terrain. Plenty of frustrated hunters.

·
Registered
713 Posts
A couple things to add to this thread.

There are some elk up there (above Little Dell). My cousin and I shot ours early Saturday morning. We have been hitting it hard for since the first snow and have been close one other time. We saw a herd go up over the top into Jeremy ranch area last Thursday. It seems they are heading into north facing heavy cover soon after sunrise.

The road!!

After we shot the cows, I called the wife for reinforcements and wheels.
She pulled into the parking lot with the Commander on the trailer and a public utilities employee told her that she couldn't drive it up there.
Her and the reinforcements walked up the road to our rendezvous point and she sledded a couple quarters and our extra gear out while we went back up to get more. When she got down there the police were now in the parking lot and informed her that despite what was allowed years past they weren't letting atv's or utv's this year. Only snowmobiles. The DWR showed up too. Must have made them awful nervous to have that side by side sitting on that trailer like that. At any rate, there are still people going in on fourwheelers but who knows what happens if you get caught. IF it is not allowed they need to do a better job informing people.

Get there early and hike your butt off!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I know I may get a polite “pound sand” but Where about did you shoot your cow? When I have been up there I have been concentrating on the hatch canyons.

Also how early did you head up and in?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
They're up there, but not in great numbers with the snow situation. My experience, if you are not on a ridgeline early, you will be playing catch up...and usually lose. If you can find them the night before, most of the time they won't be far from that location in the morning. Right now though, the finding part is difficult.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I wished I wasn't tied up in a major home improvement project right now. I'd be willing to go out and look around with you. You can PM anytime and I'll tell you where I've seen them in the past.

Reactions: cedar
21 - 32 of 32 Posts