Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drew for a Salt Lake County "East Canyon" cow tag this year and have been doing some scouting around the top of Emigration Canyon and at the top of Little Dell Canyon and have not seen or heard any elk. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The elk up at Strawberry are very actively calling right now, but I do not know if the canyon above Little Dell and around Emigration Canyon would have elk this early and if so, when they would start calling?

I am pretty new to elk hunting and appreciate any help available.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lot's of car, bike, hiker, hunter, traffic in that area to make the elk tight lipped. I've hiked in both Emigration and by Little Dell with my kids and after all these years only one bugle...not counting the hunters with a reed. I have heard a lot of hoochie-mama calls this year though (and later seen the super sneaky hoochie-mama hunters.) I guess the hunters that scored all tons of cow permits the DWR released for that area this year are practicing. Be careful closing the distance on a cow call or bugle, chances are it will be another excited hunter thinking you are the end of his hunt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What time of the year is your tag for?

There are more elk in that area in the winter however there are elk there now. Look for and sit over water.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
the elk will be coming in there pretty thick around nov when the snow flys.but you will still have to hike your butt off to find them with the other 10.000 hunters.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first dates begin October 6 to the 28 and the later dates are November 24 to January 12 so there is plenty of time. There does seem to be a lot of tags. We say several does this morning and a two point buck, but no fresh sign of elk.

I have an extended archery deer and elk tag as well so it has been interesting getting to know a new extended area. My friend would have likely gotten a shot at the two point buck, but other very noisy hunter walked up right as it came within 50 yards and scared it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts