Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an East Heber Cow Elk Hunt which starts on Dec 21 and goes through Jan 31.

It is basically south of Jordanelle Res, north of Co op Creek/Hwy intersection near Strawberry; East of Daniels Canyon and west of Mill Hollow and Co op creek road (which is presumed gated at this point in the year).

I have been pre-scouting vast areas over the whole unit now for two days; and no elk.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
That is a very difficult hunt, the co-op gate will be locked but that will not matter the elk will not be up there. Most of the cows on that unit are on private by now, like berry said know the boundaries and hope they step off onto the very little bit of public in the low area east if Heber and bottom of Daniels or get permission in private is your only option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would try Little Pole above Heber. There is a section that is public land that should have elk in it during that time. If you are lucky there are typically elk down in the farmers fields a couple miles east of Heber during that time. They might be more than willing to let you take a cow. Use the maps on the DWR website that shows public and private ground. You also might have luck in Daniels Canyon. There is an area above Woodland that you would also have a great chance at an elk during that time frame.

Use this map

http://dwrapps.utah.gov/ram/start2

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm hunting the same unit and getting worried. Cow elk is more than I realized! Haha. But it's fun to be out hunting this time of year. I'll keep you updated (on here) on anything I see if you keep me updated on anything you see ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Daniels canyon. With this amount of snow they will be all over that canyon. Tons of bulls so make sure you have good binocs. Also don't go to early in the morning. I've hunted that same hunt several times and the cow herds always seem to move after the sun is well up. 10ish or so. Glass at every pull out. They're up there. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Daniels canyon. With this amount of snow they will be all over that canyon. Tons of bulls so make sure you have good binocs. Also don't go to early in the morning. I've hunted that same hunt several times and the cow herds always seem to move after the sun is well up. 10ish or so. Glass at every pull out. They're up there. Good luck.
Is the dwr doing fly overs this year I would hope that if they were not. They would re think it with all of the wasatch elk numbers debate

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone on this thread for your help! Finally took a small (by choice) cow elk on Saturday.

Thanks again!

Attachments

Reactions: quartz

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hunting the same unit and getting worried. Cow elk is more than I realized! Haha. But it's fun to be out hunting this time of year. I'll keep you updated (on here) on anything I see if you keep me updated on anything you see ;)
Send me a PM; tried to PM you regarding a tip for you on getting your cow elk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts