Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The perch bite was on today at Echo Reservoir. Several different ice flies/jigs were tried and all produced hits. The best bait was, of course, perch eyes. Ten 7”to 10” perch are now in my refrigerator awaiting the skillet.

Today was also my first day using my brand new Vexilar FL20 fish finder. What a hoot to actually know that fish are right on the bottom and coming to your lure as it drops. And you can really tell when you are about to get a hit – sometimes.

I caught a very nice 18” rainbow that I actually saw come into the sonar cone and come up to my lure and strike as I raised it up at the approach. Now that was exciting.

I wasn’t sure if I could get on the ice with my quad, but finally figured out that it can be done at South Beach. Then it was a 1.8 mile run to the area in front of the resort. The snow is about 4 to 6 inches deep and dry. The ice is a good 10 to 12 inches thick. The depth where I fished was 32 feet. Some others nearby were in 28 feet and doing just as well on the perch. They were also targeting trout and had 6 the last time I looked. Their trout were 8” to 15”.

I think I’m going to have to do it again, and real soon.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
silversalmon66 said:
How do you like that Vexilar
Probably the easiest fish finder to use that I've ever tried. Increased my success rate the very first time it was used (today). I'm sold on it's usefulness and would recommend it. Buy highest model you can afford and don't look back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts