Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me how we as archery hunters got screwed on this rac go around. We as archery hunters proposed a change in the elk season dates. Even SFW agreed with what was proposed. Imagine that! Nobody else on the board agreed with it though. Then somehow they reworded or rewrote what was proposed and without even voting on it they took away the last week of the archery elk hunt. I don’t get how we follow the rules in these rac meetings and the division doesn’t have to.

Someone explain what happened please!

How can everyone on the board except SFW disagree with what was proposed at every rac meeting. Only dictators in other countries have that kind of voting statistics. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I can't answer your question...maybe it's rhetorical anyway. But just reminding you of what you probably already know - the WB isn't required to follow the recommendations of the RACs.

Add to that the simple fact that the WB members listen to more than what comes out of the RACs or the WB meetings. They may not spend time with the likes of you or me or take our personal phone calls, but I'm sure they listen closely to key individuals. The RAC system is purely political and in politics, things are usually somewhat less than straightforward. This isn't the first time and it won't be the last.

As for how we got screwed, it's our own fault. We can't blame "key individuals" for manipulating the system to get what they want. But we make it easy for them. Time and again, fellow hunters try to organize in order to get in the game and they get no support. (Several of our forum members can tell you all about that.) And when an effort actually does get off the ground, it's **** tough to keep it going long enough to make a real difference.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
More days for limited entry archery elk hunters

Utah's general archery elk hunt will start five days earlier this summer. The early start will provide limited entry bull elk hunters with five extra days of hunting.

Here's what the board approved:

The general archery elk hunt will still be 23 days long, but it will begin five days earlier. The general archery elk hunt begins Aug. 16, which is the same day the general archery buck deer hunt begins.
Starting the general archery elk hunt five days earlier means it will end five days earlier. Those extra five days will be given to limited entry archery elk hunters. That will increase the length of the limited entry archery elk hunt to 28 days without taking any days away from general archery elk hunters.
The Utah Bowman's Association recommended the change.
Where did you get screwed??? This is exactly what archers asked for and they got it. They chose to leave the anybull units out of the proposal because of conflicts with the Youth/disabled elk hunt.

Why all the heartburn???????

·
Registered
610 Posts
coyoteslayer said:
Where did you get screwed??? This is exactly what archers asked for and they got it. They chose to leave the anybull units out of the proposal because of conflicts with the Youth/disabled elk hunt.

Why all the heartburn???????
I agree. I think except for the Archery any bull going into the youth hunt a few days, everything that UBA and the other bowhunting orginizations proposed went though.

I like the changes, Kudos to those who went to the meetings and suported it.

Mark

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
MarkM said:
l going into the youth hunt a few days, everything that UBA and the other bowhunting orginizations proposed went though.
Remember, though, UBA and other bowhunting organizations don't represent the views and desires of ALL bowhunters.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
wyoming2utah said:
MarkM said:
l going into the youth hunt a few days, everything that UBA and the other bowhunting orginizations proposed went though.
Remember, though, UBA and other bowhunting organizations don't represent the views and desires of ALL bowhunters.
Thanks Mr Obvious. :roll: Neither do you. :wink:

We do however, represent a LARGE percentage of them. UBA works hard to get input from any/all archers, and then take that input and push their views and desires and attempt to bring them to fruition.

Remember, there is NO group that will be perfect, and I have yet to see a proposal go through that is in harmony with ALL hunters, bowhunters included. I will say, that your voice is louder when united with like/similar minded sportsmen, than going it solo. That is where groups like UBA, the LARGEST bowhunting group in Utah, benefit archers/hunters as a whole. UBA works closely with the DWR on MANY issues, we do habitat projects, we work with other conservation groups, are constantly looking for ways to increase opportunity AND quality hunting options. I make NO apologies for my involvement in such an passionate group of HUNTERS.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
proutdoors said:
Remember, there is NO group that will be perfect, and I have yet to see a proposal go through that is in harmony with ALL hunters, bowhunters included. I will say, that your voice is louder when united with like/similar minded sportsmen, than going it solo.
Thanks...Mr. Obvious! :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
So does this mean the Archery Elk hunt on an any bull unit will open and close like it did last year? Open on the Thursday after the archery deer hunt starts and ends the Friday before the youth elk hunt? If not, that is where we got screwed. I'd like to see the archery elk hunt on any bull units open September 1st, and be the same length.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
mc1k said:
So does this mean the Archery Elk hunt on an any bull unit will open and close like it did last year? Open on the Thursday after the archery deer hunt starts and ends the Friday before the youth elk hunt? If not, that is where we got screwed. I'd like to see the archery elk hunt on any bull units open September 1st, and be the same length.
No, it will open 5 days earlier on Saturday and close Friday the day before the LE/youth hunts start, so you get an EXTRA 5 days to hunt and the close is the same as before.

What archer wouldn't want, "the archery elk hunt on any bull units open September 1st, and be the same length."? But getting it is akin to stopping Global Warming.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
proutdoors said:
We do however, represent a LARGE percentage of them.
You're getting to be a better politician all the time. :wink:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Finnegan said:
proutdoors said:
We do however, represent a LARGE percentage of them.
You're getting to be a better politician all the time. :wink:
*\-\* -()/-

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am fine with the spike hunt ending 5 days earlier. I wanted anyone that drew a tag to have the best possible hunt. We got that!

I wanted the hunt to begin 5 days earlier. I thought this might allow more people to decide to jump into bow hunting. We got that.

I also wanted the hunt to be extended 5 days on the any bull unit. So we can have a shot at a bull once during the rut. We got screwed here.

My point was, I always thought what SFW stands for was the law of the land. That’s what everyone says. I thought maybe there were behind the scenes shenanigans going on. SFW doesn’t want bowhunters against them. So behind the scenes it goes I will stand up and vote yes, you guys don’t say anything. We both look good.

I guess if someone was going to amend a proposal it should be the ones that proposed it.
It was my understanding UBA wanted to let bowhunters have a shot during the rut before we got the 5 days on the front end, and we got screwed in this department.

Any ways I just wanted my cake. I am happy with some of it and upset with some of it. I just hate the politics. Archery hunters are not impacting the elk herds in Utah. So I just don’t see a reason a cattle person or any persons sitting on any of the rac’s can vote against something that doesn’t concern them especially if SFW was in favor of the proposal.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Scott, I feel your frustration. But, if not for SFW our proposal was DOA. You are correct about the politics of the whole process, anyone who says politics is not the PRIMARY driving force is kidding themselves/others. For example, the 5 day vs 9 day hunt, from the data provided by the DWR, biologically there was/is little difference between the two, yet they kept it at 5 days not because of 'sound biological' reasons, but for political reasons. Same goes for the 'management elk tag' that does NOT accomplish any better the desired outcome than simply issuing more mature bull tags.

I too would have loved to see our proposal passed in whole instead of in part, but that didn't happen, the anti-archery bias in this state was the main cause of it being 'reduced'/watered down. This I firmly believe, but at least we got SOME changes/improvements, that is a VICTORY.

Politics and the ability to be 'political' is more important than having a biologically sound plan/proposal. That is what I conclude after being on the battlefront. We must stay the course, finish the race, and keep the faith!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts