Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked for more information concerning the control permits and have not had much luck.
Here's my question: So I drew a general season archery buck permit for the Wasatch West unit and I picked up the elk control permit today. Is the control tag only good for the archery season? Or what if I were to purchase a rifle elk permit and hunt the same area, would my control permit still be valid? I'm assuming so.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
It accompanies the antlered tag in your possession for the dates indicated, so if you have an archery tag it is good for those dates, if a rifle tag for those dates, and so on.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I sure wish they would allow it to also ride with an antlerless permit as well. If they really wanted to get rid of the elk in these "control" areas it would be nice if you could draw an antlerless tag and then buy a control tag to ride on the antlerless tag. That way you could be a real ladies man... :)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yes. You still have a valid buck/bull permit for the area through the extended hunt.
That was how I read it as well. So, in essence, if a guy was really ambitious he could take 3 elk a year: archery hunters choice, an antlerless tag, and a conservation tag.....only one of which could be a bull but they could all be cows. Talk about opportunity!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The problem I saw last year with my control tag is that they were hunted from the archery, so by the end of October they were more scarce. Granted we had a really warm fall and light winter which didn't drive them any lower.

I was able to harvest a buck but the elk were higher than we wanted to pack them out!

·
Registered
305 Posts
yea they can only use that cow tag on that hunt.They CAN NOT USE IT ON THE ARCHERY OR MUZZY HUNT. i called and asked. i was going to buy the son one. but after getting told that i said hell no.
That is interesting! It was explained to me, by the DWR officer on the mountain a couple years ago that the control tag could be hunted on anytime you could legally hunt a antlered animal. So in the case of the youth, they get extended hunting times (3 hunts for deer with a rifle tag). I also asked what happens if you shot your antlered animal first, does that mean your cow tag can no longer be hunted on. He said. keep hunting, just have the detached permit for the antlered animal with you. I wonder if it has changed in the last couple of years. This was 2-3 years ago.

·
Registered
501 Posts
From the DWR page (http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/1618-elk-control-permits.html):

"The antlerless elk-control permit allows you to harvest an antlerless elk in the same unit where you'll already be hunting an antlered big game animal. Antlerless elk-control permits are not valid statewide. Please verify all hunt boundaries before heading into the field. You may hunt the antlerless elk only during the season dates-and with the same weapon-listed on your buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime permit."

A youth with an any weapon tag that overlaps an elk control boundary can hunt the buck as well as the elk during the archery, muzzleloader and rifle season, using the appropriate weapon for the season.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I called them and asked them. They told me No he can only use that tag on his rifle hunt. So this is not making sent to me any more. I even told her he had a rifle tag and is a youth.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
well i called them again just now and they told me a different answer and now it he can. grrrrrrrrrrrrr
With the youth I always thought it was quite simple. If they have an any weapon tag they can hunt all three seasons so the can also hunt on a control tag or regular cow tags during the same time frame.
It only works for a Youth Any Weapon tag and not youth archery or muzzeloader.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts