Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Elk Control Tag

• Had one, filled it.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Had one, ate it.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Will not participate in the Elk Control Program.

Votes: 14 41.2%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I was hunting the Wasatch for deer this year. We saw a lot of deer. We saw even more elk. I bought a control tag and filled it on a day where I saw three herds of at least 30 animals each. I've been hunting the same area since 2006 and I saw the most elk I've ever seen this year. I know this doesn't jive with what others are seeing and I'm not making a judgment either way about the state of the elk herds. just sayin what I seen. I will always support programs like this even if I don't plan on filling the tag because I LOVE OTC tags. If they sell em, I'll buy em.-----SS

Attachments

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
If you go back over my history, you'll see I have not been one of the doom and gloom guys for our elk herd on the Wasatch. I will say that having had a late cow tag last year and a control tag on 17B/C this year, I'm concerned. Through those two hunts I've yet to put eyes on a single cow elk, which is not normal for the areas I was hunting.

I love the idea of control tags if the unit is capable of sustaining it. I too enjoy the opportunity of OTC tags and hope that we can keep them available. Looks like you have a great spot. Congrats on filling the tag!

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
These elk control permits are OK on units were a zero elk population is desired.

But using them on the Wasatch has been like watching a train crash in slo-mo!

The Wasatch LE elk hunt WAS a fantastic hunt, now headed in the tank big time.
Sad, sad deal....

·
Registered
248 Posts
we only saw three cows at a distance I was not going to shoot, tried to move in closer but they weren't slowing down for nothing.
as has been said before, if I don't fill the tag it's a contribution to hopefully better the herds through winter

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I bought one and tried to fill it in the Diamond Fork area. Hunted three days, didn't find any. We're seeing far fewer there than we did 7+ years ago (in all fairness, we don't hunt quite as hard as we used to since I hunt with some folks who are getting older). To me though, the opportunity it gives me is worth the $30.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had one for the South Slope Yellowstone area. I shot a young branched bull. He had about 9 cows/calves with him. I had a few other hunters ask me why I didn't also shoot a cow or stay a couple other days to shoot a cow. First off, I wasn't looking to pack out that much meat in one day. Second, I really only bought the tag because I wanted the opportunity to get meat and did not want to pass on a cow if I was blanked with my GS bull tag. Lastly, I have a family of four with one bull elk to eat. How much more meat does one family need? For me, it was not about the horns, it was about getting meat.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I had one for the South Slope Yellowstone area. I shot a young branched bull. He had about 9 cows/calves with him. I had a few other hunters ask me why I didn't also shoot a cow or stay a couple other days to shoot a cow. First off, I wasn't looking to pack out that much meat in one day. Second, I really only bought the tag because I wanted the opportunity to get meat and did not want to pass on a cow if I was blanked with my GS bull tag. Lastly, I have a family of four with one bull elk to eat. How much more meat does one family need? For me, it was not about the horns, it was about getting meat.
I opted to not hunt a bull and went with two cow tags in 2012. My family of 5 blew through 2 elk in less than a year. Can't have enough elk IMO. I get the packout on your back issue though. I have horses which makes that a breeze :D Control tags are fine for anywhere but the wasatch is what I think.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a control tag last year and this year. Last year I shot a spike, no need to fill my control tag. This year I shot a cow close to the road second weekend, as my hunt was basically over and I wanted some meat. I think the tags serve a purpose for certain areas. I think it would be better to break the tags down into a small sub unit. I know some areas are not doing very good for cows on the Wasatch. The area I hunt on the Wasatch has a good amount of cows running around. Almost ever bull we see has at least 2 or 3 cows with it. The bigger bulls will have groups of 15 cows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts