Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
By the time you put ice into them you are going to need a couple 120qt ones.

I have never bothered with coolers but instead place the meat into good game bags and then hang them in the shade of a evergreen where the wind can circulate around them. If you don't have evergreens around where you are hunting then in the shade and if you must lay them on the ground place logs under them where the air can circulate around the meat.

I have lost very little meat to spoilage in over 50 years of hunting doing it this way.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
+1. If your are hunting by yourself it's going to take several trips to get one out. They cool down fairly quickly in the shade.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
+2 on game bags and shade.

If you do put the meat in a cooler make sure the meat is cooled or the insulated cooler will hold in the heat from the meat and it will spoil faster.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Another idea for the cooler if you go that way. Separate the bags of meat with sticks so that the cool air can get around it to cool it.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I have never done this, but I talked to some guys that where doing it(out of state hunters). They had several larger coolers with no ice, and a small one that they had put dry ice in. The dry ice was double wrapped in bubble wrap. They would put the meat in the empty coolers and add some dry ice. With dry ice it does not take up as much volume. They were saying you had to keep the dry ice from touching the meat because it would leave patches where it contacted the meat like freezer burn.

I use to back pack with a guy that used dry ice for his steaks and ice cream. It does make eating Mountain house a little difficult watching that.

I've also seen guys hang light fabric sheets around their quarters and meat that is hung in the shade in game bags(not touching the game bags). You wet down the sheets and it has a swamp cooler affect. Its one more layer to keep the flies out as well.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Another idea for the cooler if you go that way. Separate the bags of meat with sticks so that the cool air can get around it to cool it.
Freeze saltwater in 1 or 2ltr bottles and layer those in the cooler. Saltwater has a lower freezing point than ice so will remain cooler, longer. As its also self contained, you dont have to worry about water getting on the meat.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Freeze saltwater in 1 or 2ltr bottles and layer those in the cooler. Saltwater has a lower freezing point than ice so will remain cooler, longer. As its also self contained, you dont have to worry about water getting on the meat.

-DallanC
You will need a freezer with the temp turned way down to do this. This would have the added benefit of the increased exothermic reaction of the salt on the melting ice. If you have made ice cream the old fashion way you know how this works.

Have you done this? I would worry that it might melt faster. In a good cooler that may not be an issue though. I have a current need to possibly use this, that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You will need a freezer with the temp turned way down to do this. This would have the added benefit of the increased exothermic reaction of the salt on the melting ice. If you have made ice cream the old fashion way you know how this works.

Have you done this? I would worry that it might melt faster. In a good cooler that may not be an issue though. I have a current need to possibly use this, that's why I'm asking.
The ice probably would melt faster because the temperature gradient between the ice and ambient air would be greater, but the melted solution would still be around the freezing point till all the ice melted. Here's a graph that includes NaCl. It shows the max solution around -7 degrees F.

Freezing point depression.jpg

I'd have to recheck, but it seems that my freezer goes down into negative double digits in fahrenheit. This might be a really good option for a lot of people; myself included. Thanks Dallan for posting it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Lonetree, thinking about it, are you referring to latent heat? If so, it seems that a salt solution would hold the temperature steady at the phase change just like regular water but just at a lower temp. say 0F instead of 32F. But maybe I'm missing your point entirely...

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Lonetree, thinking about it, are you referring to latent heat? If so, it seems that a salt solution would hold the temperature steady at the phase change just like regular water but just at a lower temp. say 0F instead of 32F. But maybe I'm missing your point entirely...
No, your right, I was thinking out loud on the fly. I need to go check what my freezer will do.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Cool your meat as fast as possible after the kill by hanging it in game bags as has been mentioned. Then, when leaving the mountain you can either stick it in an empty cooler with bagged ice or I've even wrapped it in a tarp then bought ice bags at the nearest store to keep it cool until I could get it straight to the processor.

Doesn't really matter what size cooler you happen to have it will likely not be big enough when it counts...murphy's law.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Now, what you gotta do is..... Go to home depot/lowes and purchase sheets of the 2" foam insulation. Line the bed of your truck with them and make the entire bed a cooler.. buy half a pallet of ice... and you'll be good to go :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
By the time you put ice into them you are going to need a couple 120qt ones.

I have never bothered with coolers but instead place the meat into good game bags and then hang them in the shade of a evergreen where the wind can circulate around them. If you don't have evergreens around where you are hunting then in the shade and if you must lay them on the ground place logs under them where the air can circulate around the meat.

I have lost very little meat to spoilage in over 50 years of hunting doing it this way.
Have you had luck with this method in the August heat during the bow hunt?

I'm sure this will work in October, just curious what time of year you've used this method.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Have you had luck with this method in the August heat during the bow hunt?

I'm sure this will work in October, just curious what time of year you've used this method.
I have done it in early September when it is just as hot with no problems.

The secrete is to get the hide off and let the air circulate around the meat so that it can cool off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts