Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First season hunter here. I didn't see a thread for the Elk Extended Archery season, so, I figured I'd start one incase anyone is interested to discuss.

I started hiking around the Millcreek/BCC area this weekend. I've glassed the area from atop Mt. Aire and Little Water Peak, but have yet to see anything aside from a couple deer. Lots of deer scat around Little Water Peak (LWP), but all looked old. LWP is fairly off the beaten path considering how busy the front gets. I'll be heading up Lambs Canyon tomorrow to have a look around again.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I spent a little bit of time in lambs canyon last year, in July and Sept. Lots of old elk sign, nothing fresh. Few to no good glassing areas. Saw a cow moose on the road, and a few fresh beds large enough for a moose in a saddle like area on the ridge. Saw a couple does, 5 trail cams, 2 bait areas, one dried up wallow, a few potential camping spots, a need to switch to hammock camping, and the only water source is halfway down the mountain. Once you get off the trail in blue, and go further down the route in purple, you'll find a couple minor technical areas, and no people who aren't out hunting past that point. All SLC hiking stops past that point. You'll know it when you see it. I don't advise bushwacking down the route in brown. It sucked balls, but I was chasing water, as I ran out.

Few to no elk, high pressure. It's something to do when you want to go backpacking with a bow. Juice might not be worth the squeeze though.
Map Ecoregion Slope Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent a little bit of time in lambs canyon last year, in July and Sept. Lots of old elk sign, nothing fresh. Few to no good glassing areas. Saw a cow moose on the road, and a few fresh beds large enough for a moose in a saddle like area on the ridge. Saw a couple does, 5 trail cams, 2 bait areas, one dried up wallow, a few potential camping spots, a need to switch to hammock camping, and the only water source is halfway down the mountain. Once you get off the trail in blue, and go further down the route in purple, you'll find a couple minor technical areas, and no people who aren't out hunting past that point. All SLC hiking stops past that point. You'll know it when you see it. I don't advise bushwacking down the route in brown. It sucked balls, but I was chasing water, as I ran out.

Few to no elk, high pressure. It's something to do when you want to go backpacking with a bow. Juice might not be worth the squeeze though.
View attachment 149332
I'll be trying this route later this week. I want to do it from the Millcreek side, but I hate paying that dam n $5 charge.

I did hit up lambs today. An area about a mile north of Murdock Peak. I saw only one deer and also heard what I assume was another deer. I found what looks to be Moose(?) scat. Much too big for deer but doesn't look to be elk to my untrained eye.

The whole lambs area does look like a great place to find any elk if they do exist.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I hiked the Lambs trail up to the top of "the Elbow" into Millcreek last week. Didn't see anything...no deer, no elk, no moose. Most of the sign, when found, was old. I know animals are in there, but I don't think there are enough that I'd want to hunt it in anything but late season for cow elk...and then they'd only be in there if there is enough snow to push them down.

The comment about glassing spots is spot on too. Not many spots at all.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Good point about elevation. If one was serious, i'd start looking at higher elevation's near a water source. I went where I did, only because it was the height of the covid scare and my wife was putting me in the basement if I came in contact with anyone, and I was too cheap to pay the toll road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found an interesting remark on the Utah Hunt Planner website for the antlerless elk hunt in this same area. This is pretty much what I've read from other sources, but it's nice to see it written by an official.

"Elk on this unit don't start migrating to the Wasatch face until it starts to snow. Elk travel down the ridge top from the top of Lambs Canyon and Mill Creek Canyon. Elk winter on the face between Parley's Canyon to Mill Creek Canyon."

Attachments

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Target Shooting, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
81 Posts
On January 2020 off of 80 before 40 off ramp I seen a herd of 30-40 elk sitting next to the freeway by the frontage road. Lots of tree head bulls just laying there 🤠 Only heard 1 bugle in Big Wood Canyon last November when I was setting my trap set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news! I scouted the herd. About 30 of them from what I could count. Mostly cows, couple bulls. Unfortunately I haven't been able to take one yet.

I did have the opportunity stalk in on them twice. The first stalk was on 5 cows bedded in an open meadow. I got about 80 yards from them before they caught me. I had the wind at my face. I think the crunchy snow gave me away. Looking back I think being more patient would have helped me.

The second stalk was a bit more interesting. I suspected that there would be more over a ridge just above me. I hiked up the ridgeline and saw the bulk of the herd bedded down. Unfortunately as soon crested the ridge and saw them, they saw me. They were immediately spooked and ran down the side of the mountain. I tracked them as best I could, but was running out of day light so I had to call it a day.

The people that said this hunting unit was a tough one were not lying. The few times I've hiked up have all been 10+ miles and 2-3k feet of vert. Each time I was breaking trail in snow. I'll be going again once this snow storm we're getting passes through. It may be time for me to break out the snowshoes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good news! I scouted the herd. About 30 of them from what I could count. Mostly cows, couple bulls. Unfortunately I haven't been able to take one yet.

I did have the opportunity stalk in on them twice. The first stalk was on 5 cows bedded in an open meadow. I got about 80 yards from them before they caught me. I had the wind at my face. I think the crunchy snow gave me away. Looking back I think being more patient would have helped me.

The second stalk was a bit more interesting. I suspected that there would be more over a ridge just above me. I hiked up the ridgeline and saw the bulk of the herd bedded down. Unfortunately as soon crested the ridge and saw them, they saw me. They were immediately spooked and ran down the side of the mountain. I tracked them as best I could, but was running out of day light so I had to call it a day.

The people that said this hunting unit was a tough one were not lying. The few times I've hiked up have all been 10+ miles and 2-3k feet of vert. Each time I was breaking trail in snow. I'll be going again once this snow storm we're getting passes through. It may be time for me to break out the snowshoes.
Have you had any luck since? I was thinking about heading up in hopes that the weather and road closures would bring the elk down the mountain. I was up on the ridgeline in between Millcreek and Lambs about a month ago finding fresh sign, but never laid eyes on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you had any luck since? I was thinking about heading up in hopes that the weather and road closures would bring the elk down the mountain. I was up on the ridgeline in between Millcreek and Lambs about a month ago finding fresh sign, but never laid eyes on them.
Yes I did find them again but had another failed stalk. Ranged them in at 110 yards. Was very frustrating. Much harder than I thought sneaking up on them. I swear I'm not lying about finding them either.

This was about 2 weeks ago, though. You're in the right area. All I'll say is find a good spotting location and plop down for an hour or two. They are there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts