Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
18,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made 9 lbs of elk haggis. No lungs this time, just elk heart, elk liver and beef suet. Lungs taste like liver anyway....maybe just a little stronger flavored.

Had some haggis spice mix I just needed to use up. Bought this seasoning blend a few years back from Tongmaster in the UK. It's a tasty easy-to-use traditional haggis mix. Although Tongmaster's shipping to the USA now is around $60.

My Holiday Elk Haggis, stuffed in beef bungs.
Flowerpot Tableware Houseplant Flooring Gas

Tableware Helmet Kitchen utensil Wood Natural material

Food Tableware Ingredient Plate Recipe

Food Tableware Recipe Plate Staple food

Font Material property Parallel Document Paper

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
Made 9 lbs of elk haggis. No lungs this time, just elk heart, elk liver and beef suet. Lungs taste like liver anyway....maybe just a little stronger flavored.

Had some haggis spice mix I just needed to use up. Bought this seasoning blend a few years back from Tongmaster in the UK. It's a tasty easy-to-use traditional haggis mix. Too bad I can't get it anymore. Tongmaster won't ship to the USA now, dangit.

My Holiday Elk Haggis, stuffed in beef bungs.
View attachment 154683

View attachment 154685

View attachment 154686

View attachment 154687

View attachment 154682
A few years back I flew over to Edinburgh and shot a round of trap with the locals at a gun club outside of town.
I then went and had Haggis for dinner.
Both activities score a 10/10.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Oh Baby that looks delicious! I love Haggis and miss the Robbie Burns dinners on January 25th. It's one time I could wear my Kilt (other than the games) and spend time with family, friends, and meet others.

It's hard to beat Haggis, Mince, Nips, tatties and a splash of 30 year old single malt Scotch for dinner. I'm thinking I should buy a ticket to Edinburgh, take the train to Thurso and be at the families "hoos" for dinner. :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Goob!!

·
Administrator
18,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh Baby that looks delicious! I love Haggis and miss the Robbie Burns dinners on January 25th. It's one time I could wear my Kilt (other than the games) and spend time with family, friends, and meet others.

It's hard to beat Haggis, Mince, Nips, tatties and a splash of 30 year old single malt Scotch for dinner. I'm thinking I should buy a ticket to Edinburgh, take the train to Thurso and be at the families "hoos" for dinner. :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Goob!!
I have no idea what yer talking about but it sounds so cool.

·
Administrator
18,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang, Goob, that looks absolutely offal!
Ha, ha, ha

It's really good actually, but like any dish it is made many different ways. Traditionally it has lungs, liver, heart and oats with a small amount of fat. This has 1/3rd offal, 1/3rd oatmeal, and 1/3rd water n spices, a little less livery.

Spices very, salt n pepper of course, and then who knows? - rosemary, thyme, coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne, even nutmeg or cloves spice it up. Some add whiskey or scotch. Like chili in the USA, there's a jillion variations.

In my opinion making it is a lot of work, kinda of a weekend project. Bungs and pinhead oats are pricey. But it doesn't have to be stuffed. Steel cut or even rolled oats will work.

I put a bunch of single-serving haggis meals in the freezer.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Ha, ha, ha

It's really good actually, but like any dish it is made many different ways. Traditionally it has lungs, liver, heart and oats with a small amount of fat. This has 1/3rd offal, 1/3rd oatmeal, and 1/3rd water n spices, a little less livery.

Spices very, salt n pepper of course, and then who knows? - rosemary, thyme, coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne, even nutmeg or cloves spice it up. Some add whiskey or scotch. Like chili in the USA, there's a jillion variations.

In my opinion making it is a lot of work, kinda of a weekend project. Bungs and pinhead oats are pricey. But it doesn't have to be stuffed. Steel cut or even rolled oats will work.

I put a bunch of single-serving haggis meals in the freezer.
I would absolutely try this. I'm definitely not shy about eating organ meat. My wife and I decided to try our hand at making lengua tacos a few weeks ago. I remember always seeing beef tongues in the super market growing up, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. We had to go to a Mexican market to find one. I figured it would be an inexpensive cut, but it's similar in price to a ribeye! The tacos turned out fantastic. I tried a few pieces of the tongue just after we finished the boiling stage and I was really surprised at how tasty a boiled tongue can be.

·
Administrator
18,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would absolutely try this. I'm definitely not shy about eating organ meat. My wife and I decided to try our hand at making lengua tacos a few weeks ago. I remember always seeing beef tongues in the super market growing up, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. We had to go to a Mexican market to find one. I figured it would be an inexpensive cut, but it's similar in price to a ribeye! The tacos turned out fantastic. I tried a few pieces of the tongue just after we finished the boiling stage and I was really surprised at how tasty a boiled tongue can be.
Good for you!

They sale beef tongue at both grocery stores here in Evingston.......expensive. Growing up tongue was cheap, relatively speaking. We got beef and a lot of pig's tongues on the farm. So we ate tongue often, sandwiches, sliced n pickled on crackers, in headcheese or ground up and added to sausage.

Don't forget wild game tongues. Elk and deer tongue is great, bison tongue just delightful. Antelope tongue sucks. Swan tongue is too hard to peel. :):geek:

·
Administrator
18,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found out pin oats and steel-cut oats are the same thing. Good, pin oats are expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts