Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally drew a limited entry elk tag (boulders early) with 20 points. Two kids also drew youth elk hunt. These hunts are at the same time. Debating on turning my tag back. Have made a few trips scouting and seen a few decent Bulls, but no monsters yet. Decisions decisions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We have been successful the last few years on the general any bull units. So finding the kids elk shouldn't be a problem. It would be nice to see them get a decent bull though and that takes time, but at the age of 13 and 15 I think they would be happy with the first rag horn they seen.

I know the boulders have some good elk. We Will be headed down there again for a week. Hopefully that will make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
^^^ This ^^^

If you had gotten lucky drawing with fewer points, it would be a tougher decision to me. But, if you turn it back, at 20 points, you'll almost surely draw next year. The only way you don't draw is if a bunch of other close to max point holder jump ship from their last choice to yours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think that if you by-pass a youth Elk hunt with your boys in search of a possible monster bull you will end up disappointing. Not because you missed out on a monster bull but because you overlooked what hunting is all about.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think that if you by-pass a youth Elk hunt with your boys in search of a possible monster bull you will end up disappointing. Not because you missed out on a monster bull but because you overlooked what hunting is all about.
What dad's won't do for their kids. It is a tough decision, but I agree with the rest of the others post. Turn the tag in and enjoy the hunt with your kids. You won't regret it. I would much rather see the smile on my kids faces. But that's just me.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Honestly, this wouldn't be a tough decision for me at all. Like willfish4food and ridgetop said, if you drew it with 12 points, I might be singing a different tune. But with 20 points, you will draw the tag again next year. I would view this as an awesome opportunity to hunt elk in September with a rifle two years in a row. I don't call this a dilemma, I call you one lucky dude! I don't even have to take the "moral" view of doing it for your kids. (which is a decent enough reason to turn it in...) Turning the tag in would make sense in a selfish way for me as well.

Turn it back in, go help your boys get an elk this year, then let them come help you next year. This is honestly a dream scenario in my mind. No dilemma at all. It really is a no-brainer, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
With 20 points, I would turn your tag back in. Your kids will never get their tag again.
This is really the only way to look at it IMO. I would have loved to draw the youth tags. Never did with my kids or my nieces.

·
Registered
37 Posts
With 20 points you'll be able to draw next year again. If you enjoy hunting with your kids as their excited about it I'd say go with them and do your hunt next year. Gives you twice the memories that way and that's what huntings all about!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You said that you have had success on the any bull elk units in the past--this is a tremendous advantage and is another really good reason to hunt with your kids. It would be one thing if you had never hunted the any bull elk units in the past but with your experience it's a no brainer--hunt raggity horns with the kids this year and hunt a monster bull next year (you will with 20 points). Dang--you are lucky, you already have two years of great hunting lined out. Good for you! :cool:

·
Senior Goof
3,584 Posts
If the tag is surrendered, does he get a point? Maybe someone can calculate the odds for next year by going down a point pool, which he will if he doesn't receive a point.

Going with kids seems the consensus... but I do want you to know your true point pool odds before saying you will get a tag for sure next year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With the hunts being at the same time, I would also turn the tag in and hunt with your boys. Growing up my father had the opportunity to hunt and harvest "trophy" animals around the world. Many of those hunts I had the chance to go with him. He passed away last year but a few years before when his health started to fail and he had to retire from hunting, we had a conversation were I asked him what his most memorable hunting experiences were and what he missed most about hunting. His reply, "Hunting with my boys. Being with you on your hunts. Watching you grow and develop as a hunter and a person throughout the many adventures we have had over the years hunting has brought me the greatest joy." I was surprised by his answer, I fully expected him to share one of his many "Alaskan" hunt stories. Though my brothers and I were with him on many of his hunts, his fondest memories came from being with us on our hunts. This fall will be the first hunting season since my father passed and i'd give anything to have him with me by my side on my deer hunt.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If I was in your position I'd turn my tag in and hunt with the boys. Any bull that walked out would be really dead or really scared. With 20 points you will get another point and should be 100% on drawing next year.

If you do decide to turn your tag in, then I would recommend doing it soon so the alternate hunter can have a chance to scout and enjoy the overall experience. What ever you decide, have a fun and safe hunt.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If the tag is surrendered, does he get a point? Maybe someone can calculate the odds for next year by going down a point pool, which he will if he doesn't receive a point.

Going with kids seems the consensus... but I do want you to know your true point pool odds before saying you will get a tag for sure next year.
All applicants with 19 and 20 points were cleared out as part of the Bonus pool this year. 15 applicants with 18 points did not draw out. So unless there are drastically fewer permits, or a lot of people jump to this permit, he should draw pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Well to add to this, If you choose to turn your tag in. You are going to make some other hunter a really happy person. I think it's a win-win. Plus you'll have karma on your side for next year. ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
+1 to turning it in and hunting with your boys. My boys are both grown up and moved out. Do it while you can. Get the big boy next year, and have them there with you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have reconsidered........ My boy turns 12 by next years hunts and I would change my tune as a result. If I was to put myself in your shoes today I would probably turn the tag back in and hunt with my boys. Plus from what I hear it is hard to draw that youth tag and if you have a place to go it would be a good bet to put one on the ground.
Plus with the early dates this year.............. the muzzy tag is the tag you would want in your pocket.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts