Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many of you would hunt elk with a 30-30 i have a 308 but i have always liked 30-30's and i am thinking of doing the rifle elk hunt next year. so i was just wondering what you guys think, i know 30-30's don't have the distance as a 308 does but thats okay its not hunting if your shooting 400 plus yards its just shooting.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Under 100 yards, there isn't much difference between a 30-30 and 308 and 30-06 for that matter. Past 200 yards, things change quite a bit. But I would say the usual - practice practice practice and know your limitations and you'll be fine. You alluded to making sure you are much closer than 400 yards - so I certainly hope you will be closer than 200 yards. All that said - I think it better to be very well practiced with a 30-30 and shoot 200 yards, than pack a 300 win mag and think you can hit things at 600 yards. My own choices are different - but that is based on my own preferences. So, yea, go ahead. And with any rifle - know your limitations. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I hunted with one once and after it shot as my thumb slipped off of the hammer as I wanted to drop the hammer as i had just loaded bullets (aren't they all lever actions?). Fortunately, it was pointed in a safe direction. I will never use one again, not very safe when you have to drop the hammer even after loading when I had no intention of shooting. $0.02.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Nope they are not all lever actions. There is one maker that made them in a bolt action. Savage made a bolt action 30-30 with a 3 round clip. I own one and to this day it is my favorite hunting rifle. I own a model 94 lever action as well that is newer and has a higher round capacity, but i still would rather carry the older bolt action. It is a great gun.

To answer IBR's question I agree with Gary. know your limitations with the gun and practice. Inside 200 yards this rifle is accurate and deadly enough to take down any big game animal we have in utah.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya 200 yards would be my max i like having to stock in on game it would be more like 100-150 yards i just wanted to make sure it had enough knock down power for an elk.

·
Registered
210 Posts
A 30-30 is a nominal elk gun. Yes, it will take 'em down and do it with authority within the right range. Like the other guys have stated, unless you are using PREMIUM bullets, I wouldn't even go past 150 yards. 200 yards MAX. Those 170 grain bullets are only travelling about 2,200 feet per second. I shoot a 45-70 and use 300 grain bullets travelling at that same speed for elk. Big difference.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I own an old Model 64 Winchester 30-30 handed down to me from my grandfather. And right now I'm really regretting not having taken it with me on the elk hunt. I hunted the north slope of the uintas this year, and got into elk several days in a row. The bad part was it was always in the thick dark timber. I had two shot opportunities that I know I could have harvested a decent bull with that old gun, but just couldn't pick the bull up fast enough with the scope on the 30-06 I chose to hunt with. In those conditions it was rare to be able to see much farther than 100 yards because the trees were so thick, and at that range the 30-30 would have done the job just fine. I think the 30-30 has it's place as an elk gun, but it's a specialized piece of equipment for just the right situation.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
A 30-30 has it's place. But if you're shooting 90 yards....just aim a little high.. and you'll be fine !!.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hugh 29....almost everything I own has a 'lever' . I would imagine you either had gloves on or there was a scope on the rifle. Hammer extensions sometimes work very well... :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
It seems that the concensus is that a 30-30 is fine for elk within it's range and I would agree 100%. When my son first started hunting he used my Savage bolt action 30-30 and he is still shooting 100% (one shot/elk). I would add to what tapehoser said in that the lower velocities of the 30-30 actually may make "standard" bullets perform better. Velocity is the enamy of bullet performance. The higher the velocity the quicker the bullet expands sometimes preventing it's penetration. So premium bullets are a must with very high velocity rounds but a 30-30's velocity is low enough to not overexpand standard amuniton. That said the lower velocity carries lower energy at longer distances so the range rule still applys. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
the 30-30 or 308 has been around for a looooonnng time and killing the animals as usual.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
And the best part is, that with its modest velocity, you don't need to spend $2 dollars on every shot for the premium bullets. Just make sure of your shot placement, and keep the ranges sane and you'll be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.