Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I'm new to the forum but I figured this is my best shot at getting some help. I'm a deer-hunter turned elk-hunter after not drawing out this year for the deer hunt. I went and picked up a bull elk tag and was going to try my luck out just to get out for the good times with a buddy. The trouble is that I haven't ever been elk hunting before and I was wondering if anyone on here could give me some good pointers on where to go. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just a good bull. Honestly I would have a hard time passing on the first bull I saw. I'm located up in Salt Lake so I was hoping to stay relatively close, but if I can get a good lead on locations further away I would be down to drive. Thanks for your help in advance and hopefully I don't get too much crap for posting this being so new. haha

·
Registered
58 Posts
Elk are a different beast to hunt, not just in the literal senss. Elk are reclusive so you really have to look for them and study their routines and know the area your hunting or hunt with somebody who knows the area well. Best rule of thumb is to get up super early before light and get into a glassing location above meadows with water. If you don't find them try gassing slide areas as they will be heading to high ground and thick timber for the day. Elk retreat to their fortresses for the day and they know it will take hard work and lots of noise to reach them giving them the heads up your coming and time to escape.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I know... I figured at least one person would say this. That's why I said I would be good to go further with good leads. I would rather just stay close if it is going to be a total bust rather than drive 3-4 hours to just wander around because I have no clue what I am doing.
Looking for a "good" bull close to Salt Lake? Yea you and every other yayhoo out there...

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is my first year chasing elk with a bow, and what I have done is study maps and find a place that looks like a place no one else would go. Then get out and do some looking. I drove around all summer looking at places I have never been and knew nothing about. I spent a lot of time not seeing anything too. I finally did find the elk, but have yet to get one. Sometimes it takes just driving around in places you've never been before. Get away from people and get into the timber. The last thing I would say is get up in the area early and glass glass glass. I'm by no means an expert, but that's what I've been doing.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Find a place that has pines, aspen,open areas close by, and water. In a place you can't drive to. In fact a place when you look at it you say. I'd never want to have to pull an elk out of there. That's where they are.
Good Luck and welcome to elk hunting.
I know a place like that and found elk there, if that's the only place we find them this weekend then it's going to be a back-breaker and ankle-twister getting it out.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Take Roosters advice and go check out the south slope of the Uintas. Drive around until you see a hundred gazillion people. There are probably a half dozen elk in this area. Abandon the road and start looking for sign after a 1/2 mile.-----SS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts