Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My granddaughter got a tag for the La Sal area elk hunt. We have never hunted this area as she is the first to ever draw out here. How much is private land vs public? Does anyone know how to get private land access in the area? Does anyone have pointers on a good area to start scouting that's not too steep for a 12 year old girl?

·
Administrator
4,043 Posts
Congrats to your granddaughter on the tag and welcome to the forum! No need to get access to "private" - lots of elk to be had on the public parcels.

Which season did she draw?

Check out Utah's hunt planner for private/public land boundaries.

·
Administrator
11,008 Posts
A lot of the private is on the lower sections. I suggest that you either invest or find some good maps or get OnX maps as far as the private is concerned. Most of the private is enrolled in Utah's CWMU hunt units which are off limits to hunt unless you have the tag for that unit.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Plenty of public. But knowing which season you drew would be helpful. Why'd she put in for an area she's never been to before? Makes things a lot more difficult!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Putting in for a new area is not a big deal. I have drawn a few limited entry areas with no past history of setting foot in those areas. Including the la sal range. Part of the fun was scouting and learning the area. And I did ask for some help on starting points for the area and what to expect. I was given some great information and enjoyed the hunt and tagged out.

·
Registered
836 Posts
With LE tags, I think it is not abnormal to put in for units that you have never been before. They are so rare to draw, sometimes you have to take the plunge.

With that being said, hunt planner is a great place to start. Get Onx so you can know what is private. That unit is a lot of fun and You should have a great hunt. Part of the fun is getting to know the unit and scouting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plenty of public. But knowing which season you drew would be helpful. Why'd she put in for an area she's never been to before? Makes things a lot more difficult!
It's towards the end of September. My husband put her in for every place he could I guess, don't ask me. Haha. I think we are probably just going to go with a guide service, seeing how we don't have much time to go scout and it's so far away from where we live.

·
Administrator
11,008 Posts
A guide is a good way to go if you don't have the time to properly scout the area.

Sadly I can't recommend any outfitters for down there but I am sure that there are some on the forum here that can.

We would also like to hear about the hunt. A good hunt for a 12 year old granddaughter will be full of excitement.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It's towards the end of September. My husband put her in for every place he could I guess, don't ask me. Haha. I think we are probably just going to go with a guide service, seeing how we don't have much time to go scout and it's so far away from where we live.
Yeah if you don't have the time to scout it, a guide service would be a good way to go. Sounds like she's hunting the black powder hunt. There's plenty of action going on during that hunt in relation to the hunt down there. Elk aren't that hard to find on the unit to be honest, you just need to know the boundaries to Redd Ranches, and JB Ranch. But there's more than enough public access down there to bag a good bull.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts