Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could draw out for the rifle hunt so im doing archery for the first time. Now, I now everyone hates these questions. So im not going to ask where do you hunt them.

I know where I have seen them in October while ive been deer hunting. So my question is....Do elk hang out in the same areas during August that they do during October?

Im first assumption is that they are higher up in the cooler areas but I really dont know. Im hunting the cache unit

·
Registered
233 Posts
Elk have their rutting grounds and their wintering grounds. August is before the rut, so they are still in their bachelor groups for the most part. You just need to find out where they are during the pre-rut phase.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Weather is your most deciding factor here in addition to the rut, it can be 60 and sunny in October or 30 and snowing, I have experienced both. Snow is your best friend, it can push the animals lower making it easier to access them. From what I have been learning the extended archery tag can be a great tag to have, it allows you to hunt after a lot of the pressure is off the animals and snow can push them down on a 'normal' year when we actually get snow.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I typically find them using the same areas. We have killed elk during the archery hunt in August and again in October during rifle season in the exact same spot.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Elk country is elk country. However, elk will alter their use of and proximity to water, cover, and different food sources depending on availability and necessity. As previously mentioned, bulls are primarily in bachelor groups right now and into August. Once the velvet sheds and they start thinking about the rut, they split up and turn invisible until the rut kicks in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts