Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your opinion for a first time elk hunter, going solo, during the first 2 weeks of archery season? I'll have a deer tag for a spike/cow unit and wont pass one if I see it. But if all goes well and I have more than a week left to hunt, I'd like to move to an any bull unit.

Which unit would you pick and why? Pm's or replies - just looking for some experienced info. Also, due to work- August 11-29th are the only days I can get off so it'll be that time frame.

Thanks!

p.s.- if anyone needs some info on Ohio deer I have some gps coordinates ;-)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Have a plan to pack your elk out. It is going to be hot hot hot and you will lose meat if you can't get it cooled down quickly. I would not send a first time elk hunter into the Uintas. Get some experience under your belt on the spike/cow units first. Go arrow a few cows, have some fun and after a few years of cow elk success then hit the Uintas. Most hunters will see more elk and have a better experience on the LE units hunting cows/spikes. Of course you can do what you want but for what it's worth I have 8 years of experience cow hunting the Manti/Wasatch and another 5 years hunting the Uintas backing my opinion. Good luck

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Have a plan to pack your elk out. It is going to be hot hot hot and you will lose meat if you can't get it cooled down quickly. I would not send a first time elk hunter into the Uintas. Get some experience under your belt on the spike/cow units first. Go arrow a few cows, have some fun and after a few years of cow elk success then hit the Uintas. Most hunters will see more elk and have a better experience on the LE units hunting cows/spikes. Of course you can do what you want but for what it's worth I have 8 years of experience cow hunting the Manti/Wasatch and another 5 years hunting the Uintas backing my opinion. Good luck
Good sound advise!
You're all along, a mile and half from your truck and you're standing in front of a dead animal that you can't even roll over to properly dress, it's 6:30 in the evening and 78 degrees. Of course he ran all down hill after you stuck a arrow in his shoulder and ended up flat on his stomach, head down hill in thick down timber...gee, I remember now why I hunt turkeys :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts