Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 15 elk points and am hoping for some advice. I am trying to decide if I should put in for an area where I have a chance of drawing now or putting in with my 14 yr old son as a group for an easier area to draw and trying to get him his first bull as well as one for myself? Any suggestions on which way I should go and where you would suggest would be great. I would prefer to hunt with my rifle, but muzzleloader is also an option. I live in Northern Utah, but do not mind traveling if needed. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Have you looked into the Buck/Bull Youth opportunities? It wouldn't burn your points, but would be a good hunting opportunity for him.

·
Super Moderator
3,550 Posts
Flylow,

Welcome to the forum!

If you apply with your son, the DNR will average out your points - 15/2= 7.5 - the crappy thing is that they do not round 7.5 up to 8. You each will enter the draw with 7 points. Knowing that, take a look at what tags you have a very good chance at drawing with 7 points based off last years data - nearly none on the muzzleloader, but a maybe couple on the late elk hunt. I would think long and hard about what I really wanted to do and the elk hunting experience I wanted to share with my son.

You could draw a good tag for yourself, learn the unit, and then pick up a spike tag for your son. After you tag out on your bull, then you could focus your time on getting your son a bull during the spike season.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pointers. I think I will put him in for the Youth hunts and then put in for my hunt and have him come along as part of the Mentoring Program and let him do the shooting if possible. Could be the best of both worlds. :)

Now, if you had 15 points, what Elk hunts would you be looking at? Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Having just finished my le elk tag last fall and helping 2 sons the last few years on theirs, I would just work on 1 tag ,1 elk at a time,you can both enjoy the hunt even though only 1 of you pulls the trigger. Sometimes it's hard to find 1 shooter bull let alone the pressure of finding 2. Plus you'll have another hunt to look forward to. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for the pointers. I think I will put him in for the Youth hunts and then put in for my hunt and have him come along as part of the Mentoring Program and let him do the shooting if possible. Could be the best of both worlds. :)
I would recommend the Mentoring Program for sure. Two LE tags could be a lot of fun but it could also be a lot of pressure. Plus if you only get one tag you are going to be able to hunt a much better unit than if you split the points.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Just don't bank on him drawing out on the Youth Any Bull tag, I put in for 6 years and never drew, get him a spike tag, or find him a nice buck 8)

Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,032 Posts
The youth any bull hunt is one of the hardest hunts out there unless you know of a open area and know that area well.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The youth any bull hunt is one of the hardest hunts out there unless you know of a open area and know that area well.
This is true. My son had the youth any bull tag last year and didn't harvest. We made some good memories, but that was the toughest hunt I've been on.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would just look at the draw odd, there are a few units you could raw an early rifle tag on with 15 Points. I am in a similar situation with 14 and am deciding what to do. If you really want rifle I would then decide if you want early or late. You can get a better unit with your points with a late tag or settle for a "lesser" unit and get an early tag. It's a tough decision but is really a win/win. If it were me I would pick a unit you are familiar with or pick one that you can put the time in to get to know this summer and spend a lot if time with your family down there. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Welcome Flylow - maybe we should ask if you have any sort of size expectations for your elk hunt? No sense waiting for a premium unit if you're happy with a low 300s type bull. Once you know what you're after, then it becomes easier to choose from the available hunts. If you wanted to hunt sooner than later, there are some great muzzy hunts you can pull now. If you're stuck on rifle, as has been said, your options are limited for another 4-5 years.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would be looking into a premium tag on the manti if I had that many points. Hunt all 3 seasons and enjoy every minute of it. 15 points you are pretty close to being guaranteed the tag. I seen some very nice bulls down there as of late

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I would be looking into a premium tag on the manti if I had that many points. Hunt all 3 seasons and enjoy every minute of it. 15 points you are pretty close to being guaranteed the tag. I seen some very nice bulls down there as of late
It looks like it will take 19 points to lock the Manti premium tag up this year.

BUT YES, could be the BEST central Utah LE elk tag this year!

Reactions: JuddCT

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You are right, Vanilla. 18 points is the no mans land for le elk. Could be worse though. Could have less than 5 lol
My thoughts exactly. I'm in the real no-man's land with my 1 point (I would gladly trade for your 18. :mrgreen: ). Oh well, we all get to wait our turn, and since I'm in it for the long haul, I'll eventually have some decent options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am not dead set on rifle, as I really enjoy hunting with my muzzleloader as well. My White is probably my favorite of all of the guns I own.

As far as size goes, of course I want the biggest elk possible, but I am not one to say that I will only settle for a 370 bull. I have only killed one bull to date and it was slightly over 300. In all reality a good mature bull will make me very happy, especially if I can kill it with my son with me. I also dont want to waste putting in for all of these years and then just settle.

I drew out on the Book Cliffs muzzleloader in 2014, but had to turn the tag in due to getting a new job right before the hunt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts