Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first bull elk on opening day of the rifle hunt this year (2007)!!! It is only my second year elk hunting, though I have been hunting mulies my whole life. I decided to buy an elk tag last year as an excuse to scout deer during the elk hunt and just had alot of fun on my first elk hunt but was not successful. So this year I told my wife I wasnt to worried about getting an elk just wanted to see some bucks and enjoy the great outdoors! I really had very low expectations of harvesting an elk but had plenty of determination to give myself the oppurtunity! Ive been deer hunting in an area in the uintahs for 8 years now, and have never seen an elk there til last year in september while scouting deer, and now its like the elk are out numbering the deer, so I knew I had a chance at getting one. It would be just my wife and I because my brother wimped out due to the big storm on friday night. My wife and I got out of the truck at 630 am and started hiking. As we got into the foothills below the mountains we began discussing strategy of where to go. I told her we needed to walk up the left side of the canyon that was south facing and watch the thick pine north facing slope and wait for the hunters to push the elk right to us. She agreed and we continued on. I figured the elk would be in the thick pines because it rained extremely hard all night friday up there. Just as we started up the canyon I saw foot prints in the skiff of snow that had fallen so we knew we had a hunter ahead of us but his prints went straight up the bottom of the canyon and we were going left up the ridge anyways so we kept on. We got about a quarter way up the mountain and sat down to glass into the pines and cedar trees for a few minutes. While we were sitting there we suddenly heard some shots up on top of our canyon but we were still way low.We then spotted two hunters walking up the canyon and I told my wife we should parrallel them just incase they kick something up. We learned from last year that if you find a good spot to sit the other hunters will do all the work for you on the elk hunt in the uintahs. Very packed is an understatement! So our plan was to try and use the hunters to our advantage and not kill ourselves hiking all day like we did last year.So we got up and started hiking again, We were only hiking for what seemed like only a few seconds but this is when things started happening! All of the sudden...boom! Another shot was fired but this one was much closer! Like less than 200 yards above me and on the left side of our canyon. As soon as that shot went off an elk was flashing through the pines and cedars (as if it had been shot at) from right to left in front of me. I instantly sat down on my camo but pad, set up my shootin stix, and pulled up my 7mm and put it on an opening between two cedar trees right where he was headed for. My scope quickly filled up with a very nice bull elk! I squeezed the trigger and he dropped! Then instantly after he dropped he got back up! Then boom! The hunter that took the first shot dropped him for good! I didnt even have time to think when another elk to my right and about 150 yards above me stepped out of the pines heading down and to the right of me. During all the comotion I think I heard my wife say I think its a cow! I already had my scope on him and he stopped behind a cedar with his head out of vision. I stayed steady watching through my scope, he stepped out...it was another nice bull!!! I put it on his vitals... squeezed the trigger... and he dropped!!!! He rolled about 20 feet down the steep face and came to a stop. My wife and I quickly started down the steep slope then up the other side where the elk was. When I got to him...I was in total dis-belief!!! It was a 5x4!!! I looked at my clock and it was 7:20am!! Wasnt even an hour from the truck and I scored what I consider to be a trophy!!! Shortly after this my step dad showed up to help do the dirty work. He was right behind us the whole time because he had to go back to camp to get a radio. Then the other hunter that got the first bull I hit came over to see our bull and talk about how cool it was the way things worked out. He said I hit his elk in the front leg barely missing under his chest, his bull was a 5x5 almost identical to mine in size! My brother then showed up about an hour and a half later to help get him out of there! It was a great hunt and Im really glad my wife was there to experience it with me! It was a short hunt but one that I will remember for a lifetime! Two other funny things about this hunt was my wife and I had joked around all year that if we were gonna get a bull we needed to get him in canyon 1 so it would be easy to get him out. We werent even half way up canyon 1 where I dropped him!! The other funny thing was when I was on the phone with my brother the night before I told him "If you dont come you know I'll get one! You know its funny how some hunts can go so wrong and some can just go so perfectly! Happy hunting season to all, bigbuck81!

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Congrats to ya bigbuck 81 !!!

Good hunt !!! First thing in the morning too !! I can imagine how your heart was pound'in from all that action !!!!

A lot of help, good friends and and a trophy to boot !!! Good for you !!!!... 8) 8)

Good job on the pic's HOGAN.. :)

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
HOGAN said:
Must be the guide that gives good advice on the pics. Oh hell and the elk.
A guide ?? I didn't think guides where welcome on this site..!!.. :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts