Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only shot ten elk (five bulls/five cows) so I need some of you folks who have killed more elk to please chime in on my elk tooth size question.
Each of my elk have had almost identical size and carmelization colors/patterns of both the left and right tooth, I have come to expect this from every elk.
My son’s elk that he shot this year has a sizable difference between the left and right tooth and threw off my way of thinking.
They also have a cool little ‘hook’ coming off of each tooth I have never seen before.
My question is, has anyone else noticed this and how often does it occur?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Elk like people can be right or left handed or prefer to chew on one side or another due to a bad tooth or other reasons which could cause one to wear more than the other. If you even watch one work over a tree with their antlers you will see that they at times prefer to use one side over the other.

But all of my elk ivories that i have are pretty much the same size when comparing one side to the other. I do have some from the last bull that I killed that were worn almost down to the gums.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I've shot quite a few elk (19) but only 3 of them had ivories. Of those three the two ivories were pretty even size and colorwise. Same goes for the few dozen other elk I've been in on

·
Registered
730 Posts
I’ve shot 30 elk. From calves to big bulls. Generally the teeth are the same size, every once in awhile you’ll have one side that’s a little bigger than the other. I’ve shot 2 spikes that had no ivories at all. No sockets, nothing where they should be. I’ve shot a cow that only had one. Younger cows seem to have that little hook or point on them like the ones in your pic. Older ones are a little more rounded on the corners or worn down completely.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
My kids and myself have taken about 15 elk, mostly cows. All have had ivories that are basically the same size and shape with some minor coloring variations. The only exception was a very young spike that had small, pointy, fang-like ivories.----SS

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Bigguns

I have a lot of elk ivories in a jar somewhere. They are different sizes but not by too much except for spike ivories.

Biggest set of ivories I have came out of an '86 cow. They're really big and one has a cavity. Made jewelry out of them.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,355 Posts
Ha, I can see the jar of ivories in that picture. Wish I could find it. :-?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Like wyogoob mentioned not the size! but also the caramel color and swirls is what most identify as a good quality tooth the more the better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts