Utah Wildlife Forum banner

End to another archery season.

950 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  colorcountrygunner
Last year being my first yr as an archery hunter I was lucky enough to spend some time on the hill during the rut and witness the size of bucks that seem to come out of the woodwork. At the beginning of this season I was determined to hold out until the rut and really try hard to get a "good buck". Well after passing on a total of 8 bucks including this one, I just couldn't do it anymore lol. Ive always been a meat hunter and have taken opportunities as they were presented regardless of the size, so passing on any buck was killing me. Last night, in the last few minutes of shooting light this little guy came out again. As I said earlier, I let him pass the first time but something about the shot he was offering made it to difficult to pass this time. I mean 32 yards broadside and no clue I was there? Why not..
It was cold last night up on the ridge and the wind was really kicking up. As a result I had put on every layer I had including gloves which kinda made me feel like the little kid on A Christmas Story but hey I was warm. As I stood up and put my pack on thinking I would hunt my way out, I noticed him walking just to my right. I looked at him and thought hmm that dang 2x3 again...Then he stopped and started feeding slightly down hill of me at 32 yards. A chip shot I thought to myself..I took an arrow out of the quiver and nocked it. The wind was covering up any sound I could have made which was awesome. I ranged him one more time to confirm the distance, brought my 30yrd pin across his vitals and let it fly. As I watched the blaze green luminock fly, it was almost in slow motion and I remember thinking, hmm that looks like it might be high....Yup, I watched as broadhead cut some hair and the shaft hit him in the back making the arrow actually bounce off his back. I stood there and was like WTH just happened...how could I miss a 32 yrd shot...I figured between my gloves and just rushing the shot a little, it was enough to pull it high. Oh well I thought, not meant to be...But wait, all he did was run a few steps and stop...now hes walking right back towards the area he was in before. In fact he was walking right up to the arrow now stuck in the ground. Not sure if he could see the glowing green luminock or not but he was sure curious what it was. I ranged him again, this time 52 yards slightly quartered away..Ok I thought, time to redeem myself...Took a deep breath, drew back, brought the 50yrd pin across his vitals, held for just a second, then let it fly. This time I watched the bright red luminock fly then watched it disappear as it found its mark. He hunched his back, then slowly walked down the hill from me. I lost sight of him for just a second and as it turns out, that's when he fell, not 20 yards from where I shot him. Not the buck I was hoping would cross my path as a reward for passing on littler ones, but I'm happy with him. After all, hes bigger than last years and there's always next year :mrgreen:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Alright! Way to keep your stuff together after a miss. That's when nerves usually unravel for most people. Good story and congrats.
Reactions: 2
Congrats. Way to stick with it. Did you notice any pre-rut behavior going on with the deer?
Reactions: 1
Yup in fact, this guy stunk to high heavens. Wont be long now!
Glad the Outlaw got to eat. Nice shot! The second time anyway.
Reactions: 1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.