Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I don’t do any glassing for birds and rabbits, I just head to their habitat and start walking, for waterfowl, I get out before the sun is up and set my decoys then sit

do you use the hunt planner at all? It’s got a good map layer for habitat

·
Super Moderator
10,275 Posts
For years when I first started hunting deer we would plop our tears down in one spot where we could see a side hill and stay there all day long watching deer move through.

Even with my old hunting partner who couldn't hike we would find him a deer by crusing the roads very slow watching the clearings and the side of the trees. We never did have any problems in the early mornings or after 3 pm in the afternoon

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You get good at killing stuff, by killing stuff. And you can’t do that at home or if you quit. You can watch every YouTube video or listen to every hunting podcast out there, but until you figure out how to do it on your own, in your own “way”, they won’t help much. They can give you tips and ideas, but certainly won’t do anything until you apply them to your own experiences. Trying things for yourself and seeing what works and doesn’t work will take a lot of time. And only you can’t invest in that. I use several methods personally that work incredibly well for me, but don’t work for others. And same goes for the other way around. Just need to find and figure out your style and how to beneficially use it.

there isn’t a general buck unit in the state that can’t produce success year after year. There isn’t a spike bull unit in the state that can’t produce year after year. Some are better than others, but they all will provide opportunities. You have to decide how bad you want it and how much you’re willing to work for it. That starts with scouting and ends with planing for next year with the information that you learned during the last season you hunted. It’s a cycle that never stops if it is important to you. I didn’t know how to kill elk or even find them 17 years ago. If I saw an elk during the entire season I was lucky. But I kept at it. And for many years in a row I could tell you where elk weren’t, but using that info year after year, after awhile I started finding them and killing them. Now it’s not hard at all. Same goes for deer or anything else I choose to hunt. You get out of it, what you invest into it. Don’t be afraid to explore new areas, but always start with what you know. If that doesn’t work, check over that next ridge. Go look at that finger canyon off the beat path. You’d be surprised how close to traffic animals stay, but never get bothered with because it’s overlooked by everyone else. For every big animal I’ve seen killed in the back country, I’ve seen 2 killed within a few minutes walk off a main road or trail. They are where you find them. So look everywhere you can think of.

ducks is a whole other investment. Scouting is hard to do with them being migratory and with the way the habitat changes year to year, it’s hard to know where will be good all the time. Scout all you want, but if there isn’t much for birds at that time, you could be standing on the ‘X’ and not know it, write the place off and go somewhere else, when in just a week or even day later it is THE place to be. You just need to go and try. Keep trying, success will come. There’s nothing wrong with shooting ducks on the water. When I land a flock in the decoys, I always hammer one on the water first shot. But that’s just me. Some have issues with it, others don’t.

if you are wanting to fill the freezer this year, I have 1 cow tag left. Say the word and it’s yours. The season goes until January 31. Tell me when you want it and I’ll get it for you as quickly as I can.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am really big on that whole group of guys. Remi, Steve, Janis, Ryan Callahan, all those fellas and their shows/podcasts/YouTube videos. I've listened to a few Cutting the Distance, I'll go back to it! Lately I've been listening to the Meateater podcast.
First: Quit listening and watching all those guys. They all have top notch/high dollar properties managed to put trophy animals in their laps. It is unrealistic for people like you and me.
Second: PM Moosemeat, like yesterday, and accept his very generous offer on that cow elk tag already!
He knows what he is doing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
That’s an incredibly generous offer and late season cow elk hunting is honestly a blast. You should really take Moose up on his offer, the dude knows his sh!t

I’ll second the bit about finding overlooked spots, it’s one of my go-to methods. I shot my buck this year 600 yards from where I parked on the muzzleloader and my wife shot hers 200 yards from where I shot mine on the rifle.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
The last couple post on this thread have me scratching my head. Correct me if I’m wrong but Moose is offering to shoot the cow and donate it to his freezer because he has more than he can handle.

He is not offering to mentor this adult on a late cow hunt because that is not a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
From what I gathered, he has a voucher that hasn’t been claimed
No, I have 1 tag left, it’s mine, im willing to donate the meat to from it to him if he wants it. He said something about an empty freezer and wants to get it filled. Im sure it’s implied that he wants to do it himself, but if it a necessary need for this year I can help.

I do have access to ground where a OTC private lands tag which was still available last I looked can be hunted this year. I can check with the land owner to see if they would allow me to take a new hunter out, but this certainly would be a 1 time deal. You can’t go back or get access for yourself on the same property in the future. 1 and done.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Hey StorminNorman, send me a PM and we can talk. I'm working two jobs right now, so my time is limited right now but I'd be willing to take you out next summer for a few scouting lessons.
It takes guts to come forward and ask for help. So I admire that.
Oh, about those bucks near Tooele, they won't be there during hunting season. I'm sure they came down off Kennecott property for the rut.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hi all,
I'm a fairly new hunter and not a very successful one at that. Usually 99% of the time I'm solo. Single Dad of a beautiful little girl that loves the outdoors as well and likes to go with me sometimes but she's 5, so the attention span only lasts so long. With that said, I usually have every other weekend (that I don't have her) to get outdoors and that's typically what I do.
I can somewhat relate. I'm still married, but my daughter is 7, going on 8, I'm 99% solo, and started hunting about a year or so after I moved here in 2011. I've had to learn a lot on my own. The mountains, the seasons, the game, etc, you name it. No buddies to call on that i've known for years like most guys, nothing like that. Steep learning curve. Tag soup? I've got that in spades.

I've been putting in for big game for half a dozen years or so now and only drawn out twice. My first time, first year, was in a LE unit that I had no success in. I hiked my butt off and didn't see any animals. My Dad and Uncle hunting with me drove around after dropping me off and saw 2 little bucks fighting but nothing was seen after that. 2 years later I drew again for a general season deer tag and on the last evening I harvested a 1x2.

I haven't drawn for 3 yrs since. I'm not putting in for super desirable units either, I just haven't had any luck! I got an OTC spike tag this year, hunted like crazy, got into some herds but never found a spike.

So, my question is, what do you guys do when you have a prolonged period of taking nothing home to show for all your hard work? How do you or have you kept motivated when you suck so bad at the thing you love to do? lol for all of you successful hunters, was there a time in your newbie stage when you were as terrible as me or were you always pretty successful and I just need to hang up the ol boots?

I appreciate any advice, tips, GENERAL locations for ANYTHING I might get some success with and pick my spirits back up.
Now, I'm not going to tell you how to hunt. I'll just say what keeps me going, or how I deal with lack of success. Granted I haven't been entirely unsuccessful either. Have a handful of rough grouse, 3 turkeys, and a cow elk to my credit.. and that's pretty much it.. oh and i got shot a buck this year during muzzy, which i'm none too pleased about, but that's another matter.... :roll: But critters killed is not your only measure of success, i'll explain in a bit.

Anyway, half of hunting is a mental game with yourself. Especially when your by yourself. There's nobody to keep you going forward except you. So here's some random braiin droppings:

- If your objective oriented, try not to be. If you measure success purely by punched tags, your not going to last long.

- In general, and I'm talking life in general, no bad experience is a waste so long as you learn something from it. If a scout/hunt trip sucked balls, there's some measure of success to be had so long as you learn from it. Over time, it all adds up in a positive way, so long as your learning. Never stop learning, and you'll never stop having some measure of success.

- Sometimes if what your doing isn't working, try something different, or try a different approach. Spot and stalk not working? Screw it, go still hunting. Neither working? Then go make a blind in a likely spot and sit there for awhile. You never know.

- Try and enjoy the chase. Think of it as a chess match between you and the mountains. Think.

- My worst day hunting , is still better then my best day in the city.

- This isn't a seasonal thing, its a life style. I'm already making plans for next year. I'm chasing dogs this January.

-Vary your hunts. Do different things. Spring turkey, summer scouting, fall big game, winter time coyotes or hares. That's how I like to roll, family obligations permitting. You'll fiind success somewhere, either by learning something new, or simply being in the mountains.

- Success can be just seeing something cool, or just being close.

Anyway, slow down, it's a journey. Not a destination where you punch your tag.

That's how I look at it anyway. Hunting is my midlife crisis. Life is going by way too fast, when i go to my deathbed, i want to look back with lots of mountain memories. Not sitting here behind a computer like I am now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You get good at killing stuff, by killing stuff. And you can’t do that at home or if you quit. You can watch every YouTube video or listen to every hunting podcast out there, but until you figure out how to do it on your own, in your own “way”, they won’t help much. They can give you tips and ideas, but certainly won’t do anything until you apply them to your own experiences. Trying things for yourself and seeing what works and doesn’t work will take a lot of time. And only you can’t invest in that. I use several methods personally that work incredibly well for me, but don’t work for others. And same goes for the other way around. Just need to find and figure out your style and how to beneficially use it.

there isn’t a general buck unit in the state that can’t produce success year after year. There isn’t a spike bull unit in the state that can’t produce year after year. Some are better than others, but they all will provide opportunities. You have to decide how bad you want it and how much you’re willing to work for it. That starts with scouting and ends with planing for next year with the information that you learned during the last season you hunted. It’s a cycle that never stops if it is important to you. I didn’t know how to kill elk or even find them 17 years ago. If I saw an elk during the entire season I was lucky. But I kept at it. And for many years in a row I could tell you where elk weren’t, but using that info year after year, after awhile I started finding them and killing them. Now it’s not hard at all. Same goes for deer or anything else I choose to hunt. You get out of it, what you invest into it. Don’t be afraid to explore new areas, but always start with what you know. If that doesn’t work, check over that next ridge. Go look at that finger canyon off the beat path. You’d be surprised how close to traffic animals stay, but never get bothered with because it’s overlooked by everyone else. For every big animal I’ve seen killed in the back country, I’ve seen 2 killed within a few minutes walk off a main road or trail. They are where you find them. So look everywhere you can think of.

ducks is a whole other investment. Scouting is hard to do with them being migratory and with the way the habitat changes year to year, it’s hard to know where will be good all the time. Scout all you want, but if there isn’t much for birds at that time, you could be standing on the ‘X’ and not know it, write the place off and go somewhere else, when in just a week or even day later it is THE place to be. You just need to go and try. Keep trying, success will come. There’s nothing wrong with shooting ducks on the water. When I land a flock in the decoys, I always hammer one on the water first shot. But that’s just me. Some have issues with it, others don’t.

if you are wanting to fill the freezer this year, I have 1 cow tag left. Say the word and it’s yours. The season goes until January 31. Tell me when you want it and I’ll get it for you as quickly as I can.
That's great information, thank you! That's a great perspective, to look at where I haven't seen animals as a data point of where I can know for the future where animals aren't and continue to build that information!

A cow tag would be incredible! I would be extremely grateful, thank you so much! I'll pm you to get some more details!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I can somewhat relate. I'm still married, but my daughter is 7, going on 8, I'm 99% solo, and started hunting about a year or so after I moved here in 2011. I've had to learn a lot on my own. The mountains, the seasons, the game, etc, you name it. No buddies to call on that i've known for years like most guys, nothing like that. Steep learning curve. Tag soup? I've got that in spades.

Now, I'm not going to tell you how to hunt. I'll just say what keeps me going, or how I deal with lack of success. Granted I haven't been entirely unsuccessful either. Have a handful of rough grouse, 3 turkeys, and a cow elk to my credit.. and that's pretty much it.. oh and i got shot a buck this year during muzzy, which i'm none too pleased about, but that's another matter.... :roll: But critters killed is not your only measure of success, i'll explain in a bit.

Anyway, half of hunting is a mental game with yourself. Especially when your by yourself. There's nobody to keep you going forward except you. So here's some random braiin droppings:

- If your objective oriented, try not to be. If you measure success purely by punched tags, your not going to last long.

- In general, and I'm talking life in general, no bad experience is a waste so long as you learn something from it. If a scout/hunt trip sucked balls, there's some measure of success to be had so long as you learn from it. Over time, it all adds up in a positive way, so long as your learning. Never stop learning, and you'll never stop having some measure of success.

- Sometimes if what your doing isn't working, try something different, or try a different approach. Spot and stalk not working? Screw it, go still hunting. Neither working? Then go make a blind in a likely spot and sit there for awhile. You never know.

- Try and enjoy the chase. Think of it as a chess match between you and the mountains. Think.

- My worst day hunting , is still better then my best day in the city.

- This isn't a seasonal thing, its a life style. I'm already making plans for next year. I'm chasing dogs this January.

-Vary your hunts. Do different things. Spring turkey, summer scouting, fall big game, winter time coyotes or hares. That's how I like to roll, family obligations permitting. You'll fiind success somewhere, either by learning something new, or simply being in the mountains.

- Success can be just seeing something cool, or just being close.

Anyway, slow down, it's a journey. Not a destination where you punch your tag.

That's how I look at it anyway. Hunting is my midlife crisis. Life is going by way too fast, when i go to my deathbed, i want to look back with lots of mountain memories. Not sitting here behind a computer like I am now.
Ha ha I like that, hunting is my midlife crisis, that cracked me up! But it's way better than a red corvette!
Thank you so much for this, that's a great way to look at things and I'm going to apply that mindset moving forward!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I can't put into words how much I appreciate you guys. You've given me an incredible amount of information and advice in general. You've all helped me center my mindset and get me into a better space moving forward. You guys are awesome!
Moosemeat, that was an unexpected and gigantic gesture that I'm so grateful for! I pm'd you. Thank you so much! I don't know how, but I'm sure we'll find out someway I can repay your generosity. My daughter has been wanting to try elk and, obviously, haven't been able to pull that through for her lol. She will be just as excited as I am right now ha ha

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Haven't posted on here for a while but I saw this post and your messages about the rangetrend study site so I thought I'd mention the websites I use for hunting in Utah, for what it's worth. You've probably seen some of this.

Utah Wildlife Calendar for hunt start/end dates and reminders for tag application periods.

Utah Hunt Planner: hunts and their boundaries and dates, private/public land map, species range maps, CWMUs, walk-in access areas. Click the highlighted areas on the map for a description of the property/hunt/whatever.

Utah Commuter Link traffic cameras, live pictures of current conditions at hundreds of places around the state.

Fishing reports:

County parcel maps, a lot of guys run with the OnX app that is a subscription service for seeing land ownership on your phone in real time, which is great but it kept screwing up on my phone and I got annoyed with having to pay for something that only worked half the time. The county parcel maps are probably more accurate anyway, but not every county has theirs online. Kind of feel like they're hard to read if you don't already know the areas, usually matching it to the hunt boundary maps and landownership overlay on the Hunt Planner works pretty good. Here's some parcel maps.

Utah County: Utah County Parcel Map

Wasatch: ArcGIS Web Application

Summit: ArcGIS Web Application

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I do have access to ground where a OTC private lands tag which was still available last I looked can be hunted this year. I can check with the land owner to see if they would allow me to take a new hunter out, but this certainly would be a 1 time deal. You can’t go back or get access for yourself on the same property in the future. 1 and done.
Sheesh, Moose- you're going to ruin your rep if you keep being so agreeable and friendly. Very generous offer.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sheesh, Moose- you're going to ruin your rep if you keep being so agreeable and friendly. Very generous offer.
I’ll never give a guy a hard time for legitimately trying to figure out things on their own first before asking for handouts. It’s the other guys I have the issue.

Update: I haven’t been able to get a hold of the land owner yet. He’s Not local and doesn’t have much communication with the outside world, so I’m not sure where we stand with that yet. But I am gonna go drive around tomorrow morning and see if I can find some within shooting distance from the road. If I happen to get lucky, ill be sending the OP a message to arrange for him to get his meat for the freezer.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts