Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if we can get a list of people who have been banned from this forum, and maybe a simple explanation as to why? I think it would be kinda fun to see. :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I don't think so:mrgreen: To many to list:shock: Unless a mod other than me has 2 or 3 days to do it besides I think it might be against rules, but I don't know for sure. You guys don't realize the amount of spammers we get on a weekly basis and the time it takes to research them.

EDIT: Although I do take great pleasure in banning some one that is trying to sell coupons!!

·
Administrator
8,126 Posts
I don't know of any way to generate a report, but I think you would find it rather uninteresting save a few users. The vast majority of users that are banned tend to be spammers (especially from India) that are trying to act under the guise that they are interested in the Utah sportsman experience and slyly sell you breast augmentations in the process.

The few true members that are banned are always banned for breaking the forum rules (especially making threats, harassment, repeated vulgarity).

I have personally only banned a couple members, and they were all based off of breaking rules.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I don't know of any way to generate a report, but I think you would find it rather uninteresting save a few users. The vast majority of users that are banned tend to be spammers (especially from India) that are trying to act under the guise that they are interested in the Utah sportsman experience and slyly sell you breast augmentations in the process.

The few true members that are banned are always banned for breaking the forum rules (especially making threats, harassment, repeated vulgarity).

I have personally only banned a couple members, and they were all based off of breaking rules.
If you saw me, you would realize I don't need breast augmentation... :shock: Besides nothing special about a piece of plastic filled with silicone.

Reactions: Bax*

·
Registered
638 Posts
I do recall one or two cases where people were banned because they got on the nerves of the "powers that be" rather than for seemingly substantive reasons, but of course that is the prerogative of the site owners.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
I do recall one or two cases where people were banned because they got on the nerves of the "powers that be" rather than for seemingly substantive reasons, but of course that is the prerogative of the site owners.
NOt sure to who you are referring, but we are pretty consistent at giving a warning then at least one two week timeout before actually being banned FWIW.

Reactions: RandomElk16

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
NOt sure to who you are referring, but we are pretty consistent at giving a warning then at least one two week timeout before actually being banned FWIW.
If I had to guess, it would be Klark he is referring to. I'm sure you had good reason to ban him, but from the outside it appeared that the ban occurred because the mods got tired of him rather than for any one specific incident or ongoing behavior (besides trolling, of course, but it was all in good fun IMO).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's always the same reason. They have an opinion that someone didn't agree with and took exception to anyone disagreeing. Same as any forum ban anywhere in the world ever.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
If I had to guess, it would be Klark he is referring to. I'm sure you had good reason to ban him, but from the outside it appeared that the ban occurred because the mods got tired of him rather than for any one specific incident or ongoing behavior (besides trolling, of course, but it was all in good fun IMO).
If memory serves that was a guy's second account, which is pretty well known to be not allowed. seemed to be kind of fun for a little while, in this case not sure if that counts as a ban where it was just the guy's second account set up only as a joke.

Reactions: Clarq

·
Registered
638 Posts
There is one former member who got banned after four posts. Here are the four posts, quoted exactly:

Post 1: "I am sure he would of bought you a tag....that's just the type of person he is.;-) And I bet you two might of even got along in camp."

Post 2: "The elk will have been pushed hard by the time your hunt rolls around. So I'd think that they will be in the really thick stuff. I'd get up high early...first light early. Hunt the tops nice and slow, maybe you can catch them coming up.

Also don't forget cold weather gear. Its not uncommon to get dumped on that time of year.

Wish I could help more, just not that familiar with that area. Good luck on your hunt. And thanks for yours and your brothers service."

Post 3: "I use a .270 with a 150gr. The only elk I've shot at with it dropped it in its tracks at 90 yards."

Post 4: "I'd think cow calling will be more effective. The bulls are just now rounding up cows it sounds like from other post. Good luck on your upcoming hunt!"

Maybe I am missing something, but all of those posts seemed pretty innocuous to me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The main thing that you don't see is that the mods all see our IP addresses and other possible identifying information when we post. Both of the two accounts referenced were duplicates, there's never a valid reason to have two accounts on a forum.

·
Administrator
10,504 Posts
There is one former member who got banned after four posts. Here are the four posts, quoted exactly:

Post 1: "I am sure he would of bought you a tag....that's just the type of person he is.;-) And I bet you two might of even got along in camp."

Post 2: "The elk will have been pushed hard by the time your hunt rolls around. So I'd think that they will be in the really thick stuff. I'd get up high early...first light early. Hunt the tops nice and slow, maybe you can catch them coming up.

Also don't forget cold weather gear. Its not uncommon to get dumped on that time of year.

Wish I could help more, just not that familiar with that area. Good luck on your hunt. And thanks for yours and your brothers service."

Post 3: "I use a .270 with a 150gr. The only elk I've shot at with it dropped it in its tracks at 90 yards."

Post 4: "I'd think cow calling will be more effective. The bulls are just now rounding up cows it sounds like from other post. Good luck on your upcoming hunt!"

Maybe I am missing something, but all of those posts seemed pretty innocuous to me.
But you might of not seen the post that the mods deleted that caused him to be banned.

I am a mod on another forum and quite often the members don't seen half of the post that cause a problem when I ban someone.

The main thing that you don't see is that the mods all see our IP addresses and other possible identifying information when we post. Both of the two accounts referenced were duplicates, there's never a valid reason to have two accounts on a forum.
Unless you have a static IP address your IP will change quite often. Mine changes every few days so just looking at IP addresses don't help along with banning a IP address since someone else will be using it in a few days.

·
Registered
638 Posts
But you might of not seen the post that the mods deleted that caused him to be banned.
I wonder what post that could have been.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts

Critter's points are very valid.
If you are sincerely wanting to know what happened feel free to give me the name and Ill look into it. Pretty sure I know who you are talking about and it was yet another duplicate account with the same IP as a member who has been banned under numerous names and just keeps coming back, lots of way we have to identify them, not to mention their obvious way of being a jackass to everyone and just cant change their ways.

·
Registered
638 Posts
...If you are sincerely wanting to know what happened feel free to give me the name and Ill look into it. Pretty sure I know who you are talking about and it was yet another duplicate account with the same IP as a member who has been banned under numerous names and just keeps coming back, lots of way we have to identify them, not to mention their obvious way of being a jackass to everyone and just cant change their ways.
SC²

·
Administrator
21,629 Posts
No. In the end it was because had two accounts and broke other rules.

One was a "normal" member who frequented the Waterfowl section back when it was a mess; lots of trollers, spammers, banned guys with 3 or 4 accounts. The other account, Klark, was entertaining but as time passed his posts got a little too vulgar for a family-oriented forum. He didn't heed the warning(s) to tone it down so I deleted the account which was a duplicate, not allowed on the UWN, anyway. There were some posts that were deleted or edited that you folks didn't get to see. Looking back we should have deleted the duplicate account as soon as it was started like we normally try to do.

Duplicate accounts can be troublesome and that's why most forums don't allow them. We try to catch them right away. Sometimes guys put up new accounts for harmless reasons; lost passwords, moved out of state, changed email address, working in another country, cell phone problems, other stuff. Sometimes I'll talk to the person that has two accounts and ask them which account they want and it goes OK.

Lastly, for the life of me I can't understand why a member that devotes a lot of time whining about how lame the UWN is will end up getting banned for rule-breaking and then sign right back up again with a different account and whine some more. Good grief, just move on if the UWN is so bad.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
That was 2 years ago! He came back on under sc2 after being banned under a different name. Same person, he broke the rules. Maybe Hugh wants to explain this to you a little better ?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't remember the fella's user name right off hand, but I was looking at some old posts a few days ago and came across something that he had posted and it said "banned" under his user name and I thought to myself "I wonder why.. as far as I know he has a long time member that had always been pretty productive on the forum and I don't recall him ever getting out of line"

that's why I asked the original question. thank you to all who have contributed thus far.

Reactions: wyogoob
1 - 20 of 55 Posts