Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Utah Wildlife Board has scheduled a special meeting for this Friday (12/18/2015) at 10 am, to review the recommendation from the evaluation committee and make a decision regarding which group(s) will receive the next Expo Tag contract. See http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/board/2015-12-18_board_agenda.pdf If you cannot make it to the meeting, you can view the proceedings via the following link:

Please come out and participate in the process. Show your support for RMEF or whatever group you choose to support. According to the Wildlife Board's agenda, the Wildlife Board will not be taking public comment on the issue. As a result, a 5 to 10 year contract will be awarded under this new formal RFP process, which was never presented to the RACs or the Wildlife Board for public input.

Let's hope the Wildlife Board gets it right and a huge thank you to RMEF for its commitment to conservation.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
All I am going to say is that I have bid on hundreds if not over a thousand RFP's. In over 75% of the instances the winner was determined before the bids were formally opened. I have even had instances where my bid was given to a competitor to quote their bid off of to make sure they won. I am hoping for RMEF but my gut tells me there's going to be disappointment.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It will be interesting to say the least.

But I just dont see how there is no public input from this process.
They say get involved, come to the meetings, RAC and what ever else, and If you dont get involved, you cant complain. So how can I get involved if I cant give my 2 cents? Interesting!!!???!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The bid committee was given certain criteria to use while grading the bids... I felt that the initial criteria was slanted against RMEF. I think, ultimately, it would be harder to get bias into that committee than it was to just write the criteria in a very specific way and then require the committee to grade to that criteria.

I sure hope this is all on the up-and-up and it ends in the best interest of wildlife. But if it goes south, I will not be attending the Expo in the future. (I may redeem my tag applications, as the tags are still public property that I have a right to try and obtain, but I will not be going inside.)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it troubling to anyone other than me that the DWR never allowed ANY public input for the expo contract? There was no public input allowed for the expo contract at any of the RACs or Wildlife Board Meetings. In addition, a simple reading of the rule will show that the DWR didn't even follow their own rule by implementing this bogus RFP which was "mentioned" one time, but is no where to be found in their own administrative rule which was just amended one year ago. The Elk Foundation proposes to give all of the expo tag revenue back to the state for conservation and then we learn of the RFP.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey all. I'm pretty new to hunting, especially here in Utah. Can anyone explain to me what an Expo tag is and what the expo tag contract is? Thanks. :)

·
Senior Goof
3,612 Posts
Hey all. I'm pretty new to hunting, especially here in Utah. Can anyone explain to me what an Expo tag is and what the expo tag contract is? Thanks. :)
Expo tags allow non-state run organization(s) to make a large profit on state resources by pulling on the heartstrings of hunters who have a small chance to draw a tag they won't draw in the current broke system.

The expo contract is which organization gets to make that money. The current one keeps the max it can, 70%, and RMEF wants to keep 0%.

Political BS. Shortest description I could think of.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Reactions: bezog

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Expo tags allow non-state run organization(s) to make a large profit on state resources by pulling on the heartstrings of hunters who have a small chance to draw a tag they won't draw in the current broke system.

The expo contract is which organization gets to make that money. The current one keeps the max it can, 70%, and RMEF wants to keep 0%.

Political BS. Shortest description I could think of.
This may very well be the single perfect description of expo tags!

So I'll see you there? ;-)

·
Registered
187 Posts
The problem is that whole RFP game allowed everybody to see RMEF's bid and then write the criteria for the contract afterwards.

They can then point to an "independent committee" and act like the decision was out of their hands. But who wrote the criteria? Could it be the same people that many believe want to fix the system?

I just hope our paranoia proves to be just that... paranoia. I hope I'm on here on Friday admitting my fears were unfounded. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
While you won't be allowed to speak at the Wildlife Board meeting, there's nothing stopping you from sending an email, text or fax to Wildlife Board members with your opinion.

·
Registered
187 Posts

In theory
, the RFP shouldn't allow anyone to see RMEF's bid. That should have been kept private. BUT, we all know how that went...
Yes we do. Because there wasn't an RFP until after they turned in their bid.

I hope somebody starts letting their friends hunt on their tags, and then point out to DWR it was "mentioned" to allow party hunting.

"Mentioning" makes it law, right?

EDIT: If this looks in the least bit untoward after the bid is awarded, I'll donate $100 to anybody that wants to start a fund to hire an attorney to dig into the actual happenings of the process.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
There's more than just people in Utah awaiting this decision. We will learn on Friday how deep rooted corruption is. If SFW is the name pulled out of the hat, Utah will keep its reputation of stupidity and corruption in good standing on a national scale. RMEF stepped up to the plate and did the right thing without being forced their hand. If they don't get this contract they can up it to 500 tags, I'll never attend the expo again, and spend more of my money out of state.

Reactions: fastcamo

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The Utah DWR and SFW have connections tighter than siamese twins!

And both the conservation and expo permits are life blood ......

Despite the effort, I don't see the two separating at this time..

SFW's name will be pulled out of the hat again Friday....JMHO.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's more than just people in Utah awaiting this decision. We will learn on Friday how deep rooted corruption is. If SFW is the name pulled out of the hat, Utah will keep its reputation of stupidity and corruption in good standing on a national scale. RMEF stepped up to the plate and did the right thing without being forced their hand. If they don't get this contract they can up it to 500 tags, I'll never attend the expo again, and spend more of my money out of state.
You have no idea how true this statement is right now.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am going to withhold my comments about the process employed by the DWR until the dust settles on Friday. However, for those of you who take the time to participate in the Board Meeting on Friday, play close attention to which board members vote on the decision and which members recuse themselves from vote. Each member of the evaluation committee and each Wildlife Board Member is required to certify in writing that they do not have any conflict of interest prior to participating in the process. There are many statutes, rules and cases that define what constitutes a conflict of interest but R33-24-106 is particularly helpful:

"Executive branch employees are prohibited from participating in any and all discussions or decisions relating to the procurement, contracting or administration process if they have any type of personal relationship, favoritism, or bias that would appear to a reasonable person to influence their independence in performing their assigned duties and responsibilities relating to the procurement process, contracting or contract administration or prevent them from fairly and objectively evaluating a proposal in response to a bid, RFP or other solicitation. This provision shall not be construed to prevent an employee from having a bias based on the employee's review of a response to the solicitation in regard to the criteria in the solicitation."

During the last Wildlife Board Meeting, the attorney for the DWR was asked if merely being a member of one of the conservation groups would constitute a conflict of interest. In response, he answered "probably not" but if you were a past board member or officer that probably would be a conflict. At that point, a different Board Member asked for clarification if that applied to past officers and directors or just current officers and directors. Another Board Member then asked how many Board Members were needed to make a decision to which the attorney stated that they needed to have at least a quorum (4 out of 7) in order to vote. When it was all said and done, the attorney stated that he would work with each Board Member to answer their questions regarding potential conflicts. Pay attention to how this plays out.

-Hawkeye-

P.S. These are just my personal views as an interested and concerned sportsman.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The Utah Wildlife Board has scheduled a special meeting for this Friday (12/18/2015) at 10 am, to review the recommendation from the evaluation committee and make a decision regarding which group(s) will receive the next Expo Tag contract. See http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/board/2015-12-18_board_agenda.pdf If you cannot make it to the meeting, you can view the proceedings via the following link:

Please come out and participate in the process. Show your support for RMEF or whatever group you choose to support. According to the Wildlife Board's agenda, the Wildlife Board will not be taking public comment on the issue. As a result, a 5 to 10 year contract will be awarded under this new formal RFP process, which was never presented to the RACs or the Wildlife Board for public input.

Let's hope the Wildlife Board gets it right and a huge thank you to RMEF for its commitment to conservation.
So my "participation" is limited to either applause or booing of the decision that has already been made, should I elect to attend the meeting? When you look at it that way, sending a barrage of emails the WB's way sounds ALOT more efficient! Probably a lot less frustrating as well...

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
A reliable source said RMEF has raised the ante even higher as far as the expo proposal the second time around goes. If RMEF doesn't get this it's a complete sham. The worry is about how the proposal selection criteria was written. Can't wait to see what happens Friday. We're all waiting guys:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts