Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation hand delivered their proposal to obtain the contract for the expo tags yesterday. RMEF is proposing to bring their national convention to Utah. In addition, RMEF has committed to return 100% of the $5.00 application fee for the expo tags back to the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. This is a BIG deal! RMEF's convention would dwarf the current SFW/MDF as their national following is substantially larger. This means that there would be far more attendees from out of state and would generate more revenue for the state than the current Western Hunting & Conservation Expo. Currently SFW/MDF only returns 30% of the application fees for the expo tags to the DWR and SFW/MDF have only done this recently after years of the public wanting them to be more transparent. RMEF is proposing to return 100% of the application fee with no strings attached. This great for Utah. Now, with the Wildlife Board having several former SFW officials, we'll see if they truly care about Utah wildlife or if the old crony system of the past decade prevails. If you support the new proposal by RMEF, contact the powers that be to ensure they are awarded the contract.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
They will just issue an additional 200 permits.

Am I mistaken or was the past renewal of the Convention contract just negotiated for 10 years? I doubt RMEF can get the tags away from the Hunt Expo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They will just issue an additional 200 permits.

Am I mistaken or was the past renewal of the Convention contract just negotiated for 10 years? I doubt RMEF can get the tags away from the Hunt Expo.
It looks like the application period for the 2017-2021 period ended yesterday, per the Administrative Rules on Convention Permits.

R657-55-4. Obtaining Authority to Distribute Wildlife Expo Permit Series.

(1)(a) Except as provided in Subsection (b), the wildlife expo permit series is issued for a period of five years.
(b) For expo contracts governing the 2017 expo, and all expo contracts thereafter, the original five year term may be extended an additional period not to exceed five years, so long as:
(i) the division and conservation organization mutually agree in writing to an extension; and
(ii) the contract extension is approved by the Wildlife Board.
(2) The wildlife expo permit series is available to eligible conservation organizations for distribution through a drawing or other random selection process held at a wildlife exposition in Utah open to the public.
(3) Conservation organizations may apply for the wildlife expo permit series by sending an application to the division between August 1 and September 1 of the year preceding the expiration of each wildlife exposition term, as provide in R657-55-4(1).

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
It looks like the application period for the 2017-2021 period ended yesterday, per the Administrative Rules on Convention Permits.
In spite of what SFW tried to argue, the automatic 5 year renewal regulation can legally apply only to the 2017-2021 contract, not the current contract, which would require changing! MDF/SFW will receive the 200 EXPO permits in 2016, but after that, the permits will go to the organization that is awarded the 2017-2021 contract, along with the 5 year renewal option. In other words, there will NOT be an additional 200 EXPO tags issued.

It's marvelous that RMEF is willing to return 100% of the application fees back to wildlife and the public, but there still needs to be some formal/legal mandate much higher than 30% for that return, just in case RMEF doesn't get this contract now or in the future. As hard as we fought for 90%, then 70% or even 50%, all we got from SFW and MDF (and DWR) was 30%. And they were reluctant to even give that up, and it's not likely that they will change!

And there's still the issue of the percentage of some OIL permits going to the EXPO. It's supposed to be 5%, but as we just learned at the Wildlife Board meeting that's just a "guideline", as is the percentage of Conservation (auctioned) permits, and the actual amount can be as high as 7%. We would like to see that become 5% rounded down.

Even with those pending issues, UWC would love to see RMEF awarded the EXPO Permit Contract, or, if not that, MDF/SFW willing to return at least 90% of those EXPO application fees back to wildlife projects. It will, indeed, be interesting to see how the 4 SFW heavy hitters on the Wildlife Board respond to this development.

·
1,666 Posts
So Last Year 228,530 people bought $5 apps for 200 permits.

Resulted in $1,142,650 of money. 30 percent of that sum is $342,795.

Imagine how much more good Utah could do with $799,855 for wildlife.

Oh, and the overall draw odds are 0.088 percent - which means out of all the apps only 8.8 apps out of each thousand will draw a permit.

To get your own personal odds are drawing a permit it will be a big long equation or you can take my word that it isn't good.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Kudos to RMEF for stepping up to the plate and offering to do the right thing. I am sure more details are forthcoming.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
If 100% of the money came back to the DWR, I would probably apply for more hunts each year. As it stands now, I do very few each year. The thought of SFW getting any money from me makes me want to puke. That said, I can't pass an opportunity to apply for hunts that I'm not even allowed to apply for in the regular draw, even if the odds are bad and I don't like the organization that helps run the Expo.

I would like RMEF to win this. It would be great for wildlife and great for the state of Utah. I think we should all be contacting not only the Wildlife Board members, but also the governor's office.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Imagine how much more good Utah could do with $799,855 for wildlife.
Yep they can buy 20 trucks or maybe buy more perfect deer weather. Or they can just waste it on habitat like the other 100s of millions spent with no direct increases in game populations.

Habitat restoration is the vehicle used to monetize rare and coveted tags.

Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Does that mean if the animals have nowhere to live then we won't have any animals?
Is a golf coarse deer habitat?

How about less predators, more animals. Simple as that.

·
1,666 Posts
Does that mean if the animals have nowhere to live then we won't have any animals?
Is a golf coarse deer habitat?

How about less predators, more animals. Simple as that.
Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho have more predators and more deer.

Nevada and Utah do not have as many and Mule Deer are steadily declining, and they have less predators.

It's not as simple as eliminate/reduce predators and all your troubles will go away.

All these things encompass mule deer increases.

Habitat Quality - High Quality Forage in summering and wintering grounds.

Habitat Quantity - How much of this high quality forage we have

Predators - Black Bear, Cougar, Coyote, and Bobcats. Utah's coyote population is high, Black Bears are on the rise, and Cougars are there.

Disease - Pneumonia, etc

Competition - Utah is an managed towards trophy elk and everything else is a novelty. BLM cows, sheep, etc will also compete with mule deer.

Hunters - Kill Deer

Automobiles - Kill Deer

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been against the hunting expo for this reason. If you live in Utah you can only apply for residential OIL tags. If you live outside of Utah you can apply for the same tags as the residence do plus apply for the out of state OIL tags. Once I learned this I never stepped foot in the again. If the RMEF gets to run the show I hope this changes or they will not get my support either.

·
1,666 Posts
I have been against the hunting expo for this reason. If you live in Utah you can only apply for residential OIL tags. If you live outside of Utah you can apply for the same tags as the residence do plus apply for the out of state OIL tags. Once I learned this I never stepped foot in the again. If the RMEF gets to run the show I hope this changes or they will not get my support either.
Well, technically all the expo tags were pulled from the Non Resident pool of tags.

Giving NR's back 4 from the 200 that they removed from the NR pool is a great deal for Utah Residents.

In fact, it gives Utah Residents more opportunity to pull a tag, that they would not otherwise have an opportunity to pull.

Remember that you are a Non Resident in 49 states.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts