Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the KUTV News story last night, many sportsmen have asked what can I do to get involved? And what can I do to help? Here are a few simple things that anyone can do to help push this toward a resolution:

1. Share a link to the story with friends and family. Share it on social media. Get the word out that there is a problem. Many sportsmen wrongly assume that all of the money raised from the Expo Tags is earmarked for conservation. I have attached a link to the news story here: http://kutv.com/news/local/allegations-of-corruption-surround-utah-hungtin-and-conservation-expo

2. Contact your state legislators ask them to look into this issue. Send them a copy of this story. Ask them to request a legislative audit of the Expo Tag program. Let them know that other legislators are already looking into this problem. Make sure to send them a link KUTV News story. I have included a link to the state's website to contact your legislators: http://le.utah.gov/documents/find.htm

3. Contact the Governor's office and ask them to look into this issue. Send them a copy of the KUTV News story: http://www.utah.gov/governor/contact/

4. Send an email to the DWR and the Wildlife Board. I highly doubt that the DWR is going to do anything to remedy this problem given that they just signed a new 5-year agreement with SFW but they still need to hear from us. I sat in a meeting earlier this week with representatives from the DWR and the Governor's office and they both stated that they assumed sportsmen were happy with the status quo because they have not heard from us. That comment was laughable but perhaps we have not been vocal enough. I have included the email addresses for the DWR and Wildlife Board members:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

If you don't use email, pick up the phone and call these folks. If you have time, do both. As you reach out to people and express your concerns, please remember to be polite and professional. Many of us have strong feelings on this issue but there is no value in personal attacks or name calling. Your comments and concerns are much more effective when they are sincere and factual.

Good luck and let your voices be heard.

-Hawkeye-

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hawkeye, for my information-- are 5013c non-profit orgs required to disclose publicly what they specifically use of their" income" for salaries, meals, trips etc.?
I have seen the reports and audits of the moneys raised from the various Conservation groups and their banquets, fundraisers etc. concerning the permits given to them to auction/raffle. The last audit report that I have seen showed that all monies raised from those events had been accounted for. The money has been used on or would be used on approved conservation projects within the 2 year required time frame. Even the interest earned from those trust accounts were included in the total required to be used on projects.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Thanks Hawkeye that is great info. To all of you who care about the future of this states wildlife well being I encourage you to take 10 minutes to right an email and forward it to everyone mentioned above. Believe me they are listening and we are making good ground on this bad situation.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks for the post, Hawkeye. How ironic, wasn't I just wishing for a nicely packaged news article a couple of months ago? Now we have one! Looks like it's getting a lot of attention on social media and that's awesome. I'm going to use the info you posted to make my voice heard with our legislators. I think the DWR and Wildlife Board aren't going to listen since they already know the details. And, they are part of the problem. The governor is probably aware also but if we make enough noise he might have to address it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scott-

Very true but see my comments in Point #4: "I highly doubt that the DWR is going to do anything to remedy this problem given that they just signed a new 5-year agreement with SFW but they still need to hear from us. I sat in a meeting earlier this week with representatives from the DWR and the Governor’s office and they both stated that they assumed sportsmen were happy with the status quo because they have not heard from us. That comment was laughable but perhaps we have not been vocal enough."

The DWR and the WB need to continue to hear from us even if they are unwilling to do anything to fix the problem. They need to know that we are aware of the issue and angry. Don't let them misinterpret our frustration with contentment.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
On the link to the article I sure wish they would have spelled "Hunting" correctly. It is on my page and I sure hope that those SFW guys lose the ability to pimp out our wildlife.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Keep the pressure up guys pass along the info .. believe me they are feeling the heat. Even if its to ask for a simple audit we as sportsman are in big trouble if they keep getting away with this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts