Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.standard.net/Recreation/...16-Western-Hunting-and-Conservation-Expo.html

A few of my favorite quotes:

1. When asked how that money was spent, SFW President Jon Larson said that he guessed "the majority of it" was spent on conservation. However, Larson only recently became president of SFW and could not say for sure.

2. David Allen, President of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation said: "Our finances are done by a third party audit every year. That audit is made public. Nobody down there in Utah is operating under the same scenario. The public is the one that deserves the honesty and the accountability."

3. Chris Carling, Chief Marketing Officer for SFW, suggested during a January 2016 interview that any concerned members of the public, "Attend the expo. It's a model trying to be emulated by every other state in the union."

4. Sheehan and Canning encouraged the public to get involved with and push for change. "The public process got us to where we are today," Canning wrote in a recent email. "But they should work through the established process to make changes they feel are necessary. If the public agrees, changes will be made."

5. In response to some sportsmen's accusations that the DWR should have required audits of Expo Permit application revenue from the beginning of the process, Sheehan, who stopped serving as the administrative services chief of the DWR in 2012, said, "Could we have done some things better? For sure. I wish we had."

What do you think?

-Hawkeye-

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Here is what I think,

There will be changes in the not to distant future ..:!:....

The DWR is feeling some MAJOR heat over this issue.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Here is what I think,

There will be changes in the not to distant future ..

Yep, just finished reading it myself. The DWR seemed to act alot like an octopus does when under attack in this article.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Hey, I know the author of the article. It's our own SpencerD. Good work, Spencer!

I sure hope so. I still feel the most direct avenue for change with the Expo is through successful litigation in how the newest contract was awarded. It seem apparent that the DWR opened itself up to litigation through how it awarded the new contract in violation of the administrative rules it must follow. From there, I think reform will follow. Sadly, what has happened in the distant past cannot be retrieved.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
The states own lawmakers can't pass an "ethics" law to control their own actions why should we expect a department of the state to be any different?
I can only hope this is the first of many media articles questioning how this took place.
And thanks SpencerD for bringing it to light.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Here is what I think,

Yes, they are. But the other side still has the money, and therefore the power. I hope changes are coming. But SFW/DWR operates exactly the same way the Utah legislature does. So I expect business as usual.

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Yes, they are. But the other side still has the money, and therefore the power. I hope changes are coming. But SFW/DWR operates exactly the same way the Utah legislature does. So I expect business as usual.
SFW/MDF excell at propaganda and bait and switch, and rely on those who read/listen to it to believe it, which a great many do. They also understand the great apathy that infects hunters, and rely on that even more. Why should they change their ways when the only grumblings of dissatisfaction come from a few hand fulls or so of folks on the internet?

The overwhelming majority of hunters in Utah have no clue what is going on with these groups and the DWR. Many, many young hunters I speak with don't even know who SFW is, let alone what their ideology is. Until there is a powerful grass roots movement with plenty of main stream media coverage, things will stay the same. I wish I were wrong, but I doubt it. I guess there is legislative and/or litigation action that could be taken...what a down right shame this whole fiasco is.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If we aren't politically active, money will be the only thing that counts.
When I was a Republican delegate and precinct chair (in the 90s) state politicians contacted me to ask my opinions. And a few of us were able to stop the old Utah county sheriff from declaring Timp's Western foothills "no shooting".
Do your homework, then go to the caucus meetings. But if you do be sure you can talk maturely with intelligent people. don't com across like a cartoon character.

·
1,669 Posts
We need to plan a protest for the next expo.

T-Shirts, Flyers with facts, Stickers for shirts, etc to get this information out to the sheeple.

That way we can be united in this.

·
Registered
582 Posts
We need to plan a protest for the next expo.

T-Shirts, Flyers with facts, Stickers for shirts, etc to get this information out to the sheeple.

That way we can be united in this.
That would be the only reason I would go to the Expo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts