Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year with an archery tag. If you don't fill your tag during the regular archery season and opt to hunt in the extended archery areas, is it worth your time to hunt at all during October (rifle hunt season) in those areas, or might as well finish up September and just wait till November?

On that note, I've never worried about deer seeing my blaze orange at rifle distances. When you've got to get stickbow close (as I will) is wearing orange a deal breaker for getting close to deer? Does it help to use the orange vests with camo patterns?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Deer can't see blaze orange, it's just grey to them... camo blaze is legal, and that probably helps some, but really, deer rely more on their sense of smell than they do sight, so I'd be more worried about trigger happy hunters seeing you than I would the deer.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but most of the extended archery area is closed to rifle hunting so blaze orange would be a moot point.

I have hunted the extended a few times in October and it is tougher to archery hunt because of the foliage on the ground. It makes stalking louder and therefor tougher to get in close. But you can't kill a deer sitting on your couch and more days afield means more opportunity that a stalk will go your way. November is obviously better as the deer are rutting but that also brings in the crowds. Hunt as much as you can is all I can tell you. None of us are getting any younger :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
that's incorrect airborne. Only the Wasatch front extended section south of I-80 on the salt lake county side is off limits to rifle hunters. the area from I-80 north to Ogden is all general muzzy deer, muzzy elk, any weapon deer, any weapon elk and any weapon cow elk area. This means there is just about a rifle or muzzy hunt going on up there everyday after the general deer hunt ends.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
that's incorrect airborne. Only the Wasatch front extended section south of I-80 on the salt lake county side is off limits to rifle hunters. the area from I-80 north to Ogden is all general muzzy deer, muzzy elk, any weapon deer, any weapon elk and any weapon cow elk area. This means there is just about a rifle or muzzy hunt going on up there everyday after the general deer hunt ends.
Good to know--I always hunted south of I-80 and knew that was no rifle, never researched other areas. I wouldn't hunt an extended area if rifle or muzzy guys could hunt it regardless of the time of year. I always felt that takes away from what makes the south of I-80 extended area so cool--generally bigger bucks and only archery hunters.

I don't really archery hunt anymore but always thought the extended is really a great thing the state does--I always try to get an archery tag on a second choice so I can hunt extended if I ever get the itch--happened again this year--west desert archery on 2nd choice, build points and hunt extended if I want to pull the bow out off moth balls.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey alpine, I don't think that is the case anymore. There is an any weapon cow hunt south of I-80 (Wasatch Salt Lake unit) that starts on 11/15 and runs through the end of Jan. I always thought it was off limits to rifle hunting but I can't find anything in the proclamation that confirms that (not surprising). I've seen rifle hunters up there the last few years. Correct me if I'm wrong and I hope I am!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
lunker you are correct on the cow hunt that happens there. It is a small number of tags though. You also have the moose and mtn goat hunters that can use rifles as well but no orange is needed for those hunts. As for the elk tags most wait till after the archery hunt anyway in hopes the snow pushes the animals down. Certainly no where near the rifle traffic the north side gets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well logistically, the Ogden extended area is where I'd be hunting. Probably in the Brigham wma. So I guess rifle hunters would be around. Maybe I'll put in for antlerless elk and pronghorn for October and go extended archery hunting in november during the rut. bucks and does will be together then anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts