Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good place to start looking for elk on the wasatch front. Willing to trade fly fishing spots for elk because I'm new to the hunting game and don't know much, but I could sure tell you about some fishy places

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
With it being your first hunting season ever just go ape **** with it and cover country and HUNT those elk or deer. No one will give you their honey hole spots on the front trust me. They are sacred and those of us who have them have earned them all by ourselves. I PMd you as much info as I felt comfortable with the other day without exposing my hot spots. That info is good for elk and deer trust me Ive been hunting the front my whole life. Who know maybe ill see you at one of my spots next week and then we can share :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
You hafta understand the front is a beast of its own. It's not just about locating the animals it's also about being able and willing to pack the meat out. Be prepared to hike lots to locate them and be prepared to hike even more to pack the meat out. I'm not one to discourage you as I know for a fact the front can make you try harder because it's challenging or it can send you home to wait and hunt another year because it's too tough...Watch where your water sources are and bring plenty if you are not going to be near them it's pretty much all uphill until you are heading home. If all your finding is dry scat you know you can look elsewhere. Hop on your gps and put waypoints at all the north facing pines and be prepared to go high up. You are bound to find the elk it just take some
Persistence. I can guarantee you there are elk in that area but I can't tell where they are cause I am also after them.

But I really suggest you get into those mountains and hike around so you get an idea of what you are getting into.

I hope this has been helpful or motivating. Good luck hope I see you up there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts