Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While hunting extended archery I have seen some big does lately and I know you can shoot them but I want to know your opinions on shooting a doe. What do you think?

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
I'm not fond of tag soup, nor am I a trophy hunter. I hunted prolly 15 days and couldn't close in the general so if I get a shot at a doe in the morning she's down. If you get good meat and a fun experience, and you get to be outdoors, then that's a win-win-win to me

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
What do you think?
the better question is "what do you think"? you're the one that has to make that decision for yourself.

some folks are very opinionated on the topic. the fact of the matter is you have to live with decision, not someone on the internet. but, since you asked, i'm a meat hunter and feel just fine taking a doe.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I killed a doe on the front with my recurve many years ago and looking back I kind of regret it. It tasted like crap and it was not a challenging hunt.

Cow elk are better meat wise and with the control tags they have now it's better to kill a spike or cow elk--or open bull for that matter. Now whitetail does out of state I love hunting and eating. Pronghorn does are ok, can be a fun hunt and depending on a few factors they can taste ok.

I figure there aren't bucket loads of deer on the front so I stopped pursuing the does. If you are hunting for meat there is better. Not sure I agree with swbuckmasters front hunting proclamation but to each their own. I did it with a recurve and didn't consider it much of an accomplishment, I don't think I even took a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts